• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemo
    replied
    Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Originally posted by Guerito View Post
    Hi Kemo,

Obviously, by my number of posts, my ears are still wet, but I have to ask?

With all due respect, what’s with the elevated pivot point for your measuring stick? Being new, this is the first time I’ve spotted an elevated center pivot. Does that elevate the “floor” to the top of your soldier course? Is that pivot point dependant upon, standing, or horizontal first courses? I’m not an engineer, so I’m learning by watching the masters. When I start my build I want to do it right.

Inquiring minds want to know???????

Guerito
    Guerito,

I'm definitely no engineer either! But the idea was to have a semicircle starting at the top of the soldier course. Just like you mentioned. I was in fear of having my opening too high with semicircle on the ground, so I did the first course with the bricks up right to give a little rise to whole thing. If my theory is correct, this will create a higher dome and hold heat better with the size of my door opening. FYI, my opening is 20" wide with the begining of the arch at 9" maxing out at 11". Also, this is a 42" ID oven.
    Last edited by Kemo; 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• b_boyer2
    replied

Looks like you have some good looking help there!
    Barney

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Is the final attached photo Mr. or Mrs Kemo?

Leave a comment:

• Guerito
    replied

Hi Kemo,

Obviously, by my number of posts, my ears are still wet, but I have to ask?

With all due respect, what’s with the elevated pivot point for your measuring stick? Being new, this is the first time I’ve spotted an elevated center pivot. Does that elevate the “floor” to the top of your soldier course? Is that pivot point dependant upon, standing, or horizontal first courses? I’m not an engineer, so I’m learning by watching the masters. When I start my build I want to do it right.

Inquiring minds want to know???????

Guerito

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Did you leave us?

Or are you nearing completion fast and furiously?

Im still here but had a set back. I ordered some Ref Mix and had to redo to arch with the Ref Mix. Man, that stuff dries up pretty darn hard. And dont even think about cleaning up the next day! Any how, it took a good week including last weekend to get the refmix shipped. I actually started the 4th course last night and hope to be well into the 6th or 7th course by Sunday.

here is how she sat last night about 8pm.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Did you leave us?

Or are you nearing completion fast and furiously?
    Last edited by asudavew; 11-08-2007, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Tough call on how many bags... I'd say more than two, less than 8. :-) I used a total of three bags on my oven, and stretched a little bit with some fireclay/portland/sand mortar on the chimney joints to avoid opening that fourth bag of heatstop. I used bricks cut into thirds, tried to be very conservative on mortar, and mixed very small batches in my tile-saw water pan, so it wouldn't set off while I was messing around with joints and angles.

If there is a shipping advantage to ordering several bags, or if lost time is a consideration, I might get 4 or 5. Otherwise, maybe 2 or 3 bags, and just order as you need it.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Kemo, it is great to see more progress from you.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

and day 16 shows an arch of sorts. I began puting in the first course with the fancy angle tool I made out of leftover 2x4 and a $2 hinge. And then I ran out of Heatstop. I guess this is a good thing, in case I get antsy and want to remove the form. I'm calling James now to get some REFMIX. From where im at, how many more bags would I need?

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

ok...here is day 15. I filled all the cracks and crevices and cut the brick for the opening.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

I guess i could check that area during the curing fires to see just how much heat is going there. I can always bust out a few of the bricks if it creates a thermal issue.

However, you do have me thinking, that area could technically be a bread warmer or something if not insulated...make a little box there with the back on the dome.

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

I understand the firebrick in the dome entry. Good Idea to bake them in the entry. I applaud anything that includes chocolate chip cookies. It's really those corners that got me thinking. It seems like a lot of thermal mass in an area that you won't be baking anything, unless you're going to use your corners as warmers. I thought it might make the insulation more complicated too.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
    Hey Kimo
    Nice to get it going.
    It looks like you have fire brick extending a good deal past your dome. If so are concerned what kind of heat spill you'll have? What's your thinking on this?
    the idea is to draw heat to the front creating a situation where the hottest point of the hearth is at the back of the oven with a gradual reduction of heat as you get thru the landing. In the landing, chocolate chip cookies will be made there during pizza firings, as described in another thread.

not really! Im not sure whats gonna happen! I just went stupid with a fancy 14" wet saw and did the whole floor.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Speaking of mortar, is it me or does that stuff dry out pretty quick in the bucket?
    Kemo,

I mix mine in a small plastic kitty litter pan (Target, Walmart). I mix enough for about 4-5 bricks. After you initially add the water and mix it, it seems to continue to absorb water for about 10 minutes (ie: you'll get it just right then in 10 min it will be a bit dry). I'll add a bit of water to it once after 10 min. After 30 minutes of laying bricks, I notice it definitely begins to get thick and start setting.
    Last edited by Ken524; 10-26-2007, 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

Hey Kimo
    Nice to get it going.
    It looks like you have fire brick extending a good deal past your dome. If so are concerned what kind of heat spill you'll have? What's your thinking on this?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X