X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Allow me to update you further. I shipped my brain out of country, because I sure wasn't using it when it came to the arch. I now have to do surgery on it. I realize that with the 1 inch pull out at the bottom of the arch is wrong. The wall portion is right. The inside of the arch at the top before going into the oven would be 11 inches, not 12. Major screw up! I decided to cut out the 1 inch part only on the arch in back. I will keep the 1 inch for the walls, and continue with the flare. I still had two bricks left for the arch in back when I finally collected my sanity. I will now cut the last two with a wet saw, then cut the rest over time. I am not going to redo the arch, that part being major headache. I will attempt to start the 3rd course tomorrow evening, with the 4th on Saturday, as well as the final 2 arch bricks for the back.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    What a great adult puzzle, huh? It rivals anything challenging I've ever done. Have fun with it Robert. It ends all to quickly.
    G.
    PUZZLE???? It sure has me scratching my head, among other places. I'm cutting the bricks for the 5th and spent a good bit of time trying to figure out the tie-in to the arch. Finally have one cut for the left side.

Sorry about your arch issues Acoma, yesterday when I was doing mine I was to snug with the last brick. So I tried a hammer on the keystone - ended up going in but lifted the center 3/4". Also the small joint starting the arch appeared to be weak. So I redid in this morning and strengthen the starting point. Redos aren't all bad

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

What a great adult puzzle, huh? It rivals anything challenging I've ever done. Have fun with it Robert. It ends all to quickly.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I had originally committed to completely finishing my arch before moving on to the dome. Well, after my template did not go by plan with my arch, I had decided to free form the arch. Being stupid, and having 3 bricks per side to complete 6 of my 9, I thought I would wrap up for the day. As I finish my third brick on the right side, my 3 mortared bricks on the left fell down.. I was saying things I would not repeat here. I re-composed after a moment, cleaned the mortar off, and had 2 of the 3 bricks still intact. I used my arch template in bandade form and reapplied 2 of the 3 on the left. I also placed support for the 3 on the right. Now I plan to finish the last 4 tomorrow.
    With this mental setback, I figured that I cannot give in, so I have decided to go to the dome, and do dome, arch, dome, arch till arch is done. Tomorrow evening I should have my 2nd course complete, back arch section complete, and by Sunday, 4th course complete. I will have photos then due to late work on the oven with lighting and limited space.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

I know you're not quite ready to put it to use, but perhaps you can practice with it in your conventional oven. Enjoy!
    G.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

George, thank you so much! My blow up doll, whoops, dough arrived today. A 5 pack of Caputo flour, NICE!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Yes, it is an it, not a she I considered a blowup doll, but instead opted for something to give you hope for the end of the long winter and completing your build. Thanks again for your help.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

George, you did not have to do that, but thank you very much. Just want to help you guys out if I can. I will tell you when it (?) arrives.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Oh yeah, I forgot.....
    I sent you a present from FB. You'll find a good use for it in the future.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Rob,
    I got the ceramic block yesterday. Many, many thanks.
    George

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Well, at least you didn't have flooding, like those poor souls just a few miles away from you. Enjoy the snow, it will be gone too soon.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Inishta, you may be right. We got another 1/2 foot over 24 hours, totalling nearly 2ft. here. And guess what, power went out AGAIN! This time only 3 hours, and of course, the valley had their power. Well, we look to have snow/ rain expectations for the next week, and how much, who knows. Power companies on profit are my concern. I will be theirs on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• Inishta
    replied

Acoma..........I sympathise with you on your lack of power. This is a fact of life where we live. Even small thunderstorms can cause the power to go (or be turned off by the company) Best money I've spent lately was on a portable generator. Doesn't need to be very big. A 5kva would run your house essentials and keep you and the family warm. Sounds like a regular occurence so may be worth a thought!

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    The night was CRAZY. At least you had power.
    Storm was very powerful here in Sac. We lost power for a few hours Friday morning, but my neighbors right across the court, are still without.
    I put my oven house back together with bailing wire and zip ties. Looks kinda like the salvation army oven tent now. Hunkered down and waiting for round two.
    Hope all is well with you and your family.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Sorry to hear about the power outage. The whole coast got nailed by this one. Only wind and rain here though. Stay warm Robert!
    G.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X