X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dusty
    replied
    Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Acoma, I was thinking of you today. I finished my front arch so now I am all though with fire bricks. Done. Finished. I need a total of ZERO more! Not a speck more yellow dust will contaminate my saw tub.
    I started with 257, but used 50 on those arches that go into my storage area. I bought 33 more the day you were here. So...257-50+33=240 bricks to use for my dome. Guess how many I have left...2!
    I was thrifty with them, wasted hardly any, And used 238 total.
    There towards the end, I was getting worried, but it worked out almost perfect.

Keep up the good work.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Well, with the tight quarters I did my best to provide some progress. I have three of the four rows of arch wall complete. The forth will take cutting to allow for the arch. I have not been able to get the arch template done yet, not with the girls saying "Dad, do we have to stay home today?". So, as you can see, some delays are worth it.
    Last edited by Acoma; 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dave, I will have a photo once the left wall is erected. Also, once the arch is up I will have a photo for that. From there it is all DOME.
    Acoma.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    I am taking tomorrow off, then I will finish the left wall Friday.
    Something about building WFOs... sure grabs a bit of vacation time!

Great job so far.

I would love to see some new pics.

Happy New Year!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Jim, I sneak out for 2-3 hours each day. I am regulated by the weather and heat. The part that is killing me is that when I have to due cuts, I have to open the tent and let the COLD are in, then use the wet saw out in the cold air, rush inside and due further measurements, cuts, etc. This inside and outside tent activity is a process of its own. I am taking tomorrow off, then I will finish the left wall Friday. I am working on the arch template during the evenings right now, believing that the timing for the arch will coinside with template. If so, I really want this arch done by end of weekend. Then next year I will start dome work.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

(JC) Jim, seeing how you and I are going to be very similar in arch design, did you feel the same or did you fly through that part? Well, I have poured over the domes built and have come to feel that Les's full bricks with tapered corners on them was the look I wish to do. I like Ken's dome look, but the full brick inside by Les really got my vote. The oven may end up looking only ok, functioning ok, but I am doing my best.
    Fly through wouldn't be how I would characterize it. Although the constuction of the arch was pretty easy. The cuts took no time at all. Making sure those cuts were correct took a bit of time. I used the compass attachment to cut the back of the arch to conform to the dome. See pic on original posting for the guide. toolhttp://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html

The real time came when I was tying each coarse of the dome into the arch, which took a great deal of measuring, cutting too big and then trimming back until I got the fit I was after. One Item that I found useful is taking left over pieces of the insulation board that I used for the arch form, I used them as prototypes for the correct shape and then transferred to brick, still with that it took a lot of back and forth. It was a great relief when I was able to make a complete 360 with a course, the dome was done quickly after that point.

You are making great progress. Has your family seen you for the holidays?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I just finished the third row, right side arch wall. I plan to wait a couple days then get the left side built. I will be doing the forth row of each side carefully, since I have to cut into the bricks on the forth row to allow the arch to be built. I originally believed I would do the wall and two courses of dome by end of this Sunday, but I started thinking that the Arch completed should be first, then to start building the dome up. Doing the arch wall is such a delicate matter, I took longer than I originally thought on it. (JC) Jim, seeing how you and I are going to be very similar in arch design, did you feel the same or did you fly through that part? Well, I have poured over the domes built and have come to feel that Les's full bricks with tapered corners on them was the look I wish to do. I like Ken's dome look, but the full brick inside by Les really got my vote. The oven may end up looking only ok, functioning ok, but I am doing my best.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Today I finished the solder course and the arch wall row, which is flush with the entry floor. Tommorow I will cut more of the arch wall. The hard part will be the flair I will utilize for the front of the entry. I may not get this part finished since I only have a little time to work on it. Once done I will move on to the first course, hopefully finishing two courses by end of next Sunday. Hopefully. I will get a pic once the arch wall is up.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Im looking forward to the pics. Working under the tent wasnt so bad till I got closer to the top...then I had a few issues

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Well, it took lots of work sanding the floor bricks. I finally have my template for the transition bricks (arch to dome). Next is the template for the flame at the front of the arch. I keep thinking I can do a lot quickly, only to find out that due to the crazy weather and tent around the dome, that I must slow down the process and do each step SLOW and CAREFULLY. I will not be posting a photo until I have my arch started and solder course done. this part may not be done until end of weekend. Sorry. I know that once the dome gets going, I will move quickly, it is so important that the stage I am on right now is done to the best of my ability.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Agreed! Now comes the fun part! Finally going to go upwards.....
    Hope your weatherr holds out.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Your floor looks great - nice job!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I finished the floor bricks today. Next I plan to sand the surface lightly for a smooth top. Waiting for the tent tomorrow. Area is now covered, storm moving in, and children's party to prepare for.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I also received another shipment for the oven, this time from Jim (JC). I was highly interested in his tool which helped with the method which produced accurate and timely building of the dome. He was very kind to build and ship to me another one. I will taper the pieces for snug fits with each piece, but will utilize the tool for holding each brick up as I prepare for the next. I believe I can double the pace by doing so. Each row of bricks will be cut and sized on a dry run, then I will mortar. I believe this is the best method for cold temperature days. Jim, thank you making the tool and shipping it to me. I will also use the template via the thumbnail to produce a nice looking arch.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

I will test it out tonight with pizza from Papa Murphy's.
    Gotta Love Papa Murphy. He's come to our family's rescue on many busy nights!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X