Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's time to go Vertical

RC,

Yeah, I live about 35 minutes from Lambeau, but I will be watching the win in70-degree comfort from my family room. There is no better stadium to watch a football game in the nation but at 1-degree f, I become less ethusiastic.

I actually grew up in New York, but 14 years around here have converted me.

Are you using the HFTools wet saw to cut your brick? If so in addition to the numbers above I could provide a few drawing that will make cutting them on the saw a breeze.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
      Are you using the HFTools wet saw to cut your brick? If so in addition to the numbers above I could provide a few drawing that will make cutting them on the saw a breeze.

Jim
      I'm sorry to say I declined to go with the WISE advise of getting a 10" wet saw. I have a 7" wet saw I've been using, we built our house two years ago and we took over construction after the drywall stage. I got this saw then to help install over 2500 sf of tile and just couldn't justify the expense of another one. I'm having to cut from both sides so it's double the work but so far it's working for me.
      Bevels are hard though, so I'm using a 12" miter saw with a masonry blade(they wear out rather fast). I've protected the motor with a plastic enclosure, but if it dies I always wanted a sliding miter saw anyway. This works ok for the bevels so far.
      I've never said I was doing it the easy way. Using the wet saw for cuts when the brick is flat hasn't been a problem
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

No problem.

I will send the numbers sans the drawings,
        I just need to dig up the speadsheet and will post it shortly.

To your question of which is angle and which is bevel I offer the attachment with the qualifier that this is how I have been referring to them and may be completely wrong. But what I have been calling the bevel cut is the side cuts on the brick, a function of the slope of the current course and necessary to keep a tight fit on the sides of the bricks, one to the next. In my experience the angle stayed consistent on all courses except the final few while the bevel changed with each course.

Jim

Comment

jim, I am interested in seeing the angle drawings.
          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

No problem.

But what I have been calling the bevel cut is the side cuts on the brick, a function of the slope of the current course and necessary to keep a tight fit on the sides of the bricks, one to the next. In my experience the angle stayed consistent on all courses except the final few while the bevel changed with each course.

Jim
            JCG,
            How did you determine the angles for the last few course? Just curious.
            G.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Jim ,
              I thought that you may have beveled the sides to eliminate the inverted V, I'm impressed. I know I'll won't be able to do that with a 7", but thanks for that angle grinder.
              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

No problem.
                To your question of which is angle and which is bevel I offer the attachment with the qualifier that this is how I have been referring to them and may be completely wrong.
                Jim
                Your terminology I believe is correct from my experience with crown molding.
                RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC,

OK so here it is, sorry this took so long but we decided to go grocery shopping and ran into an unbelievable crowd at every turn (Packer/NY game tomorrow).

First to George's question, the way these angles and bevels were determined was from the 3d software I used to plan the dome (3d Studio Max). I tried to make most of my mistakes in CG before wasting mortar and brick.

As I said in the earlier post the angle cuts were fairly constant at 5 degrees (42" oven) with exception of last two courses which went to 4.5 and 3.5.

The bevel is a function of course slope and a non-linear function at that. My non linear math is a bit rusty so I opted to plot the bevels I used on my oven on a graph and then fit a curve to same. This will hopefully allow anyone to find their particular slope of their particular course and then determine the appropriate bevel, it won't be perfect, but I think within acceptable tolerances.

With a bit of digging into old text books I hope to post a calculator to spit this out (plug in size of oven, slope of course, out comes needed bevel). If there are any mathematicians out there any help would be appreciated.

While we were out I took a look at your saw at HFTools I wouldn't give up on the bevels quite yet. I am going to post an approach with the larger saw but there may be some application to the 7".

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                    jim, I am interested in seeing the angle drawings.
                    Robert,
                    I will get those up sometime tomorrow or Monday (the big game and all).

Jim

Comment

JCG,
                      You crack me up. My math stopped at calculus, and I sucked at that. Non-linear function? It makes me all gooey inside. Perhaps it's been too many years working on peoples teeth. Might as well try Euclidean Geometry on me. Thank God my dome is still standing.

PS: I love the fact that some people understand that stuff. I'm in awe! I was hoping you'd say you just "eyeballed it", as the saying goes. Kudos!
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                        JCG,
                        You crack me up. My math stopped at calculus, and I sucked at that. Non-linear function? It makes me all gooey inside. Perhaps it's been too many years working on peoples teeth. Might as well try Euclidean Geometry on me. Thank God my dome is still standing.

PS: I love the fact that some people understand that stuff. I'm in awe! I was hoping you'd say you just "eyeballed it", as the saying goes. Kudos!
                        Na, there is a big difference between recognizing something and being able to do anything about it. That is why I opted for a pretty picture. I may have mislead with "bit" rusty, those textbooks I was referring to are now more than 30 years old (where did that time go?).

And what about you, throwing around terms like Euclidean Geometry and all.

Jim

Comment

Jim,
                          From the forum I'd like to thank you for sharing your wealth. As George has said, so far I've been eyeballing everything, but I've found the angle cut to be a constant so far. Now that the bevel cut is getting larger I'll try the scientific way. I'll keep you posted on progress. Weather forecast for this week doesn't sound promising so I may take the saw in the garage to continue.
                          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Smart man. Use warm water in the tray if it's cold in the garage. No sense in suffering needlessly, unless you're an idiot like me.

JCG,
                            Ha! Time passes quickly, huh? It's really a kick in the face once you realize that you're completely invisible to 20 year old girls. Sad, sad.
                            GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                              RC,

You should consider purchasing the Harbor Freight saw - at the end of the day, I'm sure you will be glad that you did. After the completion of the project, you could probably sell it for half of what you paid.

Just a thought,

Les...
                              Finally I have to say UNCLE. Spent some time in the garage (slightly raining outside) cut bricks in half for the next two rounds. Seemed a little noisy. Started cutting the angles and it got noiser. Turns out the gear is going out on my wet saw. Can't get replacement parts other than a whole new motor unit, which is about the price of the HF Saw. By the way they have a $200 and a $300 unit and I can't see much difference.
                              RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC,

Jim
                                Well Jim as you can see in the prior post I will be using a FB saw. So if you don't mind I'll take you up on the drawings. I can see cutting one side quite easily, but will need to actually play with it to cut the other side of the brick.
                                RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X