• Show
Clear All

Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Here are some pictures.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0234.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	272811 Left cement-pop is the new (white) bag, Right cement-pop is the bad stuff. You can even see the difference just by looking at it.

Name:	CIMG0236.jpg
Size:	885.8 KB
ID:	272812 Close up of the bad mortar. 15 hrs after mixing it's still sandy and so soft I did this with a pen tip.

Name:	CIMG0237.jpg
Size:	853.5 KB
ID:	272813 Close up of the new bag. Notice it says 'new'. I did that with a 6 penny nail, thats all it did to it. Rock solid.

Name:	CIMG0240.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	272814 I took a kitchen fork (wife is going to love that) and simply pushed down, it immediately fell apart and when I pushed my thumb on it it crumbled into sand.

Name:	CIMG0239.jpg
Size:	908.5 KB
ID:	272815 I don't know if you can see the fork mark in this one but I hit the thing like I was trying to kill it. I think I bent the fork.

Maybe this would be a good suggestion and step for all novice builders. Test a small batch of the mix the day prior to using. It could save you your sanity, or more importantly your oven!
    Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

[QUOTE=Bandrasco;43927
      I don't know if you can see the fork mark in this one but I hit the thing like I was trying to kill it. I think I bent the fork.

[/QUOTE]

Make note: If Bill invites you over for dinner, bring your own fork
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

I've just been reading of your woes and am glad to hear all is well now.
        Best of luck with your building today - be sure to post your results!

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
          Make note: If Bill invites you over for dinner, bring your own fork
          Ha! Good one.

Well today went a little better. I mixed up the new stuff and started working. I was able to finish the soldier course and the first two rows of bricks for the arch landing. The new material worked nice, was very creamy as described in most threads and appears to be setting up. I don't think it can get too hard when it's so damp. I'm very pleased with the test cement-pop; it's as hard as a rock.

I also want to clarify something I posted earlier. I said that the brown bags of Heatstop-50 were old and bad and the new good bags were white. I was just referring to MY bags and did not intend to mislead anyone in thinking that if they get brown bags that it will be bad. The mfg just said the latest run was in white bags but they still use brown bags. He also said the white mix is a little different... Couldn't really explain how but I guess it doesn't matter as long as it works.

My day ended with a unannounced huge rain storm. I made the mad dash for the tarp, got everything covered, and is good till morning. I did have to cook chicken on the grill in the rain though...

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get back out.

Thanks for the encouragement; I'm going to need it!
          Bill,

Comment

Wow!!

Sounds like an accelerated build!

I took a week off work and had my sister and brother in law visit when I did the major work on mine.

I had a little setback as well, pressed on - and am fabuously happy with my oven. Seemed like a huge setback at the time!

I can vouch for the exterior fiber reinforced coating you used on your base. I love it!! It's been over a year with no cracking (well one crack -= after I ran the vibratory compactor over the patio 2 weeks ago and came within 1/8 inch of the base - hindsight moment...

Looks like a great start!!!

Glad to see you did not let a little setback slow you down!!!

Christo
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Christo,

I'm sure I'll laugh about all this later but I am really shooting for a Thanksgiving turkey in the dome! I'm not going to rush anything, just stick to my schedule if weather permits. I went out to start today and it's pouring out! I'm thinking I'll get the large umbrella from the table...

By the way, your build is awesome! I love the Geodomes like you and Dmun created. I think thats such a cool look.

I'm grateful to have this forum for help and encouragement; I know how easy it will be to put this off for a while and before you know it it will be spring.

I still haven't decided on an exterior finish yet. I am going to create another dome and will more than likely use brick. Another thought I had (After Dmun suggested I believe) is to use porcelain tiles cut into brick dimensions and then wrap the exterior with them. I can use an additive in the grout to keep out any water and as a prep coat I could use more of the wall bonding agent; its waterproof as well.

I'm getting waaaaay ahead of myself. Hopefully it will stop raining and I can get the 1st course of the dome up. I'm going to make my template/support for the arch and get that going.

Thanks!
              Bill,

Comment

11-2-08

After starting the day out with very heavy rains I managed to get the first course up. It went ok, not as smoothly and neat as I wanted but I moved up wards and my mortar is getting hard. That in itself is a major improvement over the other day.

Name:	CIMG0242.jpg
Size:	873.7 KB
ID:	272835 The string was not used; it's in an old hole that was drilled before I decided on the final location. I placed it there today and luckily realized it was not centered...

Name:	CIMG0243.jpg
Size:	901.5 KB
ID:	272836 Blimp shot. The black dot on the right is an ant that I couldn't resist smashing my thumb into... One of those days

Name:	CIMG0244.jpg
Size:	920.5 KB
ID:	272837 Entry shot...

Name:	CIMG0245.jpg
Size:	872.1 KB
ID:	272838 Side view

Name:	CIMG0246.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	272839 Ready for the next row!

I'll try and get that done by Tuesday as I have to travel all week. The kids are begging to go on the boat next weekend so I want to get at least 2 more rows by next Sunday.

Bill,

Comment

Wow, that looks great! Coming along really nicely.
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Outstanding. Off to an excellent start!
                    Travis
                    TravisNTexas

Comment

Looks like you are going to have a oven the quality of Les and Ken. Great, clean work!

Comment

Very nice workmanship. I like the angle that you put in the opening.
                        You can send any extra rain up to Citrus county.
                        Don

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                          Wow, that looks great! Coming along really nicely.
                          Thanks! This is one of those projects where you definitely learn as you go.
                          Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by staestc View Post
                            Outstanding. Off to an excellent start!
                            Travis
                            Thanks Travis! I appreciate the encouragement; I'm going to need it.
                            Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by exceloven View Post
                              Looks like you are going to have a oven the quality of Les and Ken. Great, clean work!
                              Thank you very much!

I don't think I'm at the level of Les and Ken but I did read their posts about a hundred times so maybe some of their craftsmanship will rub off on me.

Thanks again,

Bill
                              Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by drogers View Post
                                Very nice workmanship. I like the angle that you put in the opening.
                                You can send any extra rain up to Citrus county.
                                Don
                                Thanks Don,

I really wanted to be able to see the fire from a larger area; that entry angle allows me to see it from even inside the house which will be way cool.

I'll send all the rain your way for now; we've received so much over here it's silly. I know a few folks up your way, thats quite a haul from where I live.

Thanks again,

Bill
                                Bill,

Comment

Working...
                                X