Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I would check your local classifieds or Craigslist for used double all SS vent. If you go retail then most big box stores, ie HD or Menards carry it. I have also seen some on Ebay or online stores.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Coastal Pizza already answered the SS question. But a good place to look for a piece of stainless steel tubing is a metal surplus or fab shop for cut offs. The thinner wall the better, you could even use channel as well. You only need a couple feet.

Leave a comment:

• CoastalPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by zoolander
    ...I noticed in this thread you talked about a piece of "SS"...What is "SS"?...
    That would be stainless steel. Often, a piece of stainless steel square tubing is placed between the main hearth bricks and the bricks covering the area under the outer arch / vent area. Since stainless steel has fairly low thermal conductivity (see below) and since the tubing is filled with air (even lower thermal conductivity), it acts as a thermal break - see the pictures in the linked thread. That is also why SS is a good material for fire tools.

Thermal conductivity, k
    Copper 401
    Aluminum 205
    Brass 109
    Iron 70
    Carbon Steel 54
    Stainless Steel 17
    I have returned to the Forum, too many good builds going on to stay away. I have rebuilt my photo links and build documentation for anyone who is interested

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi Russell

Hadn't thought of that. Might make some enquiries from the guy I purchased this lot from. The hearth tiles are new, only the dome is used firebricks. My last oven I also used, used bricks i bought from Brickie-in Oz, if you remember.

Everyone that has eaten from that oven is still with us!!!!! but I do get your point and will make some enquiries. They look ok surface wise. Maybe a light sanding before laying would remove any possible contaminants.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I have been harping lately about where salvage/used fire bricks came from and what process they were used in. Just trying to keep folks safe from bricks involved with bad chemical or heavy metals processes that may have contaminated the bricks.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi Russel

bricks are still pricey over here as most things are. These bricks were used in a furnace previously hence getting them cheap but in perfect working order. Tiles same guy I got bricks from was able to source 600x300x75 tiles for $24 each bought the whole lot of 20.

Yes a clean slate. Much easier than the last base.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Hey Colin,

Glad to see you are able to begin number two oven. I am sure it will be as nice or nicer than you original. It is good to see that the Southern Hemi builders may be seeing some lower fire brick prices more in line with us Yankee counterparts. I do recall you folks would sometimes have to pay 4-5 dollars per brick. Looks like you have the backyard ready with a clean palette to work with. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi Dave

I know this sounds completely boring. It will be in another Japanese themed garden setting The oven will be exactly as it was before, with some changes, again the brick to brick fit on all sides. i will insulate much more this time and table height will be the same as the hearth height. When I built the first oven I kept sourcing more bricks and hearth tiles, so I have had them for a while. i also got all this much much cheaper than the first oven @ $1.40 per fire brick. I actually have enough to build 2 ovens. So only a few changes but same theme generally, finish render, front brick work all as before as I have these bricks and render as well.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Gday
    what's the theme. A japenese inspiration?
    regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi All

I have begun Oven Mk2. This will take some time as I will need to do bits and pieces of the rear garden while doing the oven. Yard excavation completed, crushed rock in and can now start the base slab. My aim is to get the base slab layed in next few weeks.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-16-2018, 01:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Thanks Russell much appreciated. I won't be starting for a while but definitely this year.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-14-2018, 06:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Hey Colin,

I made an assumption the KD is okay with me restoring his posts so I went through the first 50 pages of your thread and restored KD's posts. Looking forward to seeing WFO number 2.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi Russell

I have just been reading some of my earlier posts and noticed that all of doug's posts are missing in my thread. are they able to be recovered or is it too late.

He provided a lot of information in my thread that seem to be missing.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G'day
    My intent was to find out what you were doing so I could get notifications of your progress.
    Now your asking and I have had a think about it, probably a separate build thread with references back to your build and others which have influenced you as a builder.
    A short read or a longer one if your going to follow the links.
    As a good old friend would put it "just saying" cause I'll follow with interest anyway
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Hi Dave

Was thinking of adding it to this thread. What do you think?

Will be a much smaller thread as you say all reference back to original thread.

The slab will be.much simpler as I don't have to build it into an existing deck with cantilever to give me my base size. Will build with piers though. The rest will be identical to first build.

That's why might just leave it in this thread change heading if I can for new location.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X