X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
    Hi Colin

One surface is the inside of the dome and the other (the top one) is ready for you to lay the next course (or chain ) on.
    Like that one .

Hi Guys

Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
    Hi Colin
    Because you are building a flatter dome I don't think you should use the string. It is giving you the angle if you are building a hemispherical dome. Just make it a right angle with the line traced from the dome form and it will be ok.

Just picture it as if you had laid any other brick in the dome. One surface is the inside of the dome and the other (the top one) is ready for you to lay the next course (or chain ) on.
    Thanks Sharkey
    Yes i went back and looked at your last comments [your diagram on my photo] and marked my bevel at 115m will try the right angle [off the Dome Template intersection] when i get home tonight. One question though i am using arch bricks 75/65 at that level of dome, so might not be a right angle, any thoughts?

Might even cut the TDC brick although might be a little late for the neighbours noise wise but what the heck its only one brick.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    what I did there was figured out the TDC brick and the brick at the beginning of the arch, and then I drew a line between the two to approximate the face of the intersection. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close. Certainly close enough that any error could be covered up with mortar.
    Ok thanks Dennis. The face of the intersection. Is this the point where the inside of dome and top of dome meet? i.e. the 2 angles.

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-16-2013, 04:09 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Colin,

I just read through your last posts. The pics you posted show that you are exactly on track for calculating angles with the template and string. You will notice, however, that the inside (down) facing angle of your TDC brick does not meet your inside arch meaning your arch is too far forward by about an inch. You can leave the TDC brick where it is (pic with projected angle below) or slide it forward so it's flush with the arch form. This will leave you with a slightly oblong shape to the front of your dome and bit of the dreaded droop, but nothing serious. If you're fussy, you can resize the bricks at the base of your arch. I would cut an inch off the front of your base arch bricks and push your arch form back into the oven one inch. As Dennis (Deejayoh) mentioned you still need to cut each brick to match the curvature you need.

Sharkey's right. Don't worry about the angles involved with a flatter dome. Notice on my arch the inside angle of the lower third arch bricks are nearly vertical, and gradually get shallower to match the dome template as they go up. This is why you cut your TDC brick first, and cut the rest of them to create the smooth transition between inside brick faces.

HTH,

John

Comment

Thanks John, Sharkey, Dennis.

Now i think i have this in my thick head.

If i leave the TDC brick where it is [intersecting the Dome Template], following the line as my cut line for the arch bricks [john's photo], i will get a circular dome. All ok here.

By sliding the TDC brick back so that the bottom angle [inside dome] lines up with the Arch template i end up with a small tear drop.

God i hope thats right because i am so over thinking this.

The dome template [shape i wanted] is actually lower at the TDC point [arch apex], hence the triangle, at the back of the arch template. As long as the TDC brick intersects the Dome Template i should have a circular dome. This is my understanding with all your help.

I have a HEADACHE

Might have been easier to have another row of 75mm [75/75/65] thick bricks - Currently the Dome Template calls for the first 3 rows are 75/65/51 that would lift the lower angles higher and the intersection would lose that triangle.

Thanks Guys
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

I think you got what I was talking about. Where the vertical template and the arch need to meet. I had a similar situation but not quite a dramatic and if you leave as is you will get a slight tear drop like GF said, but with creative brick cutting you can overcome the tear drop after you clear the arch (since you have the super duper jig and 14" saw). BTW, this is an area of the dome no one ever sees after you are done and cooking pizzas.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Don't worry about the triangle. It is not a gap in the structure or anything like that, it is just that your arch form doesn't meet your dome form. Just leave the TDC brick where it is and cut as you have marked and in the end you won't even notice. The only result will be that your arch is a bit deeper (front to back) than normal, but that's mainly because of your flatter dome.
            Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Thanks To All

The Penny Has Dropped.

You Are All amazing Your Experience And insights Have Assisted More Than You Can imagine especially For A 1St Time builder.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi all

Didn't get much done today. Tomorrow out all day, damn.

I got the left and right arch brick layed and a few bricks on the same course. Then had problems with the brick tray dragging through debris so spent most of the day cleaning the bricksaw out. Shit of a job when the fireclay is wet.

Cut the next course 75/51mm firebricks cut in half.

Decided to cut a cardboard version of my dome template just a little easier around the arch and I can attach it to the ply template.

Have decided to cut the arch as I go [Doug's suggestion and I think a good one]. Anyway I took a few progress photos and thought I would post them.

Did a lot of double/triple checking with various things as you will see in the photo's.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-20-2013, 02:02 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

and some more photo's
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

The dome is coming along very nicely. Agree with Doug on building arch as you go along. My experience was to keep the arch bricks ahead of the course bricks which looks like what you are doing. Nice looking arch. You should be able to split the gap in the top of the arch through the remaining 6 mortar joints on each side and your never know the wiser. Very nice work.

PS, Your build is so clean but a tip, run a strip of duct tape where your plywood template meets the dome and the up the side of the first course. This will keep any errant mortar from dropping down into the crack between the floor and the dome minimizing filling up the expansion gap between the floor and the dome.
                    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-20-2013, 08:12 AM.
                    Russell

Comment

Hi Russell

Thx for the feedback yes it is neat not sure how much longer it will stay that way though.

I will put blue tack around the gap and also duct tape double precautions just to make sure. I cannot take credit for the arch as I cheated I am using 75/51 arch bricks and they form that exact shape so no big deal here. In Australia arch bricks are the same price as straights but still bloody expensive. But I am still trying to use 3mm gaps through out the build.

The same with the dome I am using 75/65/51/65/65/65/65/65/65/75/65/65 + Keystone. All in the goal of achieving 3mm mortar joints maximum [this is an aim not necessarily a fact but one can only try].

I am loading a mess load of photos as I want to chronicle my build from all angles left right top, I even stand on a ladder to take photos. I found trawling Forno quite cumbersome [so much information and that is a magnificent wealth of information lburo link so much simplifies this] but once you are looking for specifics, so taking lots of photos especially of the tricky bits might be useful for someone in the future.

Also that is the reason I have come up with a way of interchanging various different dome templates, the elaborate jig, using waterproof cardboard template as a quick gauge etc.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                        like the black cardboard stuff you are using as a template. Wish I had thought of that.
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi Damon

The waterproof cardboard were just separators between pavers on a pallet, i had delivered and kept just in case i needed to use them. Had it prior to, having, even a thought of a WFO. Have used it to cut the templates, dome sizing, and many other uses. Quite handy. I have the ply template as you have seen but am using the cardboard one for quick checks and around the arch tranistion.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            Finished cutting the brick cap for the chimney and slotted out the bottom for the anchor plate. Installed 1/4" x 2" RedHeads for the plate mount and I have a tube of refractory caulking that I will put under the plate then the brick capon top. Heading for some R and R for a week then serious curing starts. Everyone have a nice holiday weekend and wishing the best for our WFOs affected by Issac.
                            Russell if you see this (from your build) what are red heads for the mount?
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

It is brand name for a concrete anchor bolt. I know some builds have been using TapCons which are concrete screws too. How's the build coming along?
                              Russell

Comment

Gudday Colin
                                How are you dealing with excess mortar on the face of the brick resting on the arch guide?
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X