new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

I wont comment on the arch situation, it's way out of my pay grade and ability

The dome brickwork looks great exterior wise, so I can only imagine the internal is the same. Great jobby there Oasis.

Comment

Arch = challenge. Will you loose the gap with mortar .... Across a number of bricks?
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi Damon

Yep, no worries see daylight photos below.

Well I picked up some ceramic blanket insulation today bargain got 2 boxes of Insulfrax S Blanket [not ceramic blanket]. Interesting thing is each box contains 6 100mmx25mmx7.2m strips. But what is even more a bonus is its the 128/M3 which I believe has a higher insulation value. the bargain is the 2 boxes cost $100 the full width sheets 600mm wide were $140 per box.

My view here is a wide sheet hard to position, 100mm strips I can lattice over the oven [or at least that's how I am seeing it now]. I have enough for 100mm depth on insulation will do 50mm first if I have enough I will do 2 more layers.

I have 195mm at the back/side extremities of the dome apex to work with for insulation and render so should be well insulated.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-29-2013, 02:55 AM.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hi

I was out checking things out. Thought I would take some photos of arch from inside. Anyone see any challenges moving forward.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

Have you tapered R5 yet? If not do a face cut on the front of the brick to get rid of the chipped corner. It really does not matter but the rest of your build is so pretty.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Sorry Russell will be replacing the R5 chipped brick as I have plenty spare. Thanks for the compliment. Still annoyed with the right hand side inside though. Ruins the prettiness.

thx for pointing it out though. I was just leaving it as I have a line drawn on top of it.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

You don't need to replace it just do a face cut and you are good. No one will see the inside front of the dome. No worries, this is where I made all my adjustments as well.
                Russell

Comment

hey Russell but I WILL know

I will replace it Russell, not concerned about doing that I have heaps spare ordered way too many. THe only reason I have left it is because I have marked the top to find my line back into the dome.

Have gone back to review Yours, Johns and Doug's builds for added inspiration [Doug left a PM for me and I was really touched by his comments, as I have been a little frustrated by my cock up and lack of being consummately meticulous This is my artistic flare and my sanity from my day to day occupation] to be patient and methodical from this moment on. I guess it gets harder from here.

and Russell I still cannot find a single insulated flue system in this country like you used. Importing from the UK will cost around $700aud. Quite frustrating, the UK have other versions of insulated flues that are much cheaper. I just find it strange that not one manufacturer importer brings these flues into Australia.

Have not been able to find US prices online. Any chance you might be able to give me an idea of US pricing?
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-30-2013, 01:49 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

If you want an insulated flue then you can easily get a cowl with a double diameter fitting. (Try Pivot Stove Co.) Get an outer pipe made up from colour bond (you don't need stainless because it doesn't get hot enough. If you want you can stuff the space with insulation or vermiculite.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David

Yeah have thought of that! but Russell's flue twist locks into a neat chimney plate, and rocks. Us Aussies don't produce them. We're stuck with Double skinned flues no insulation and crappy chimney plates. and ordinary cowls. Yeah they work but don't Rock like Russells Selkirk.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

Our forum host have prices on duravent (right are very similar) right on this web page but I will see what I can find for you on the other brand. I am thinking as suggested by some of you local mates that you might check with a local fabricator who could build you just what you need. I recently saw a new build from Australia who had a fire place chimney he picked up for his build so they must be out there. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/b...e-19433-2.html
                        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM.
                        Russell

Comment

Hi Russell

Fornobravo doesn't appear to ship to Australia responded to my email but thanks Russell, I think I have found what i'm looking for in US thanks to your link yesterday it led me elsewhere.

Aaaaarggghhhhhhh is pissing down here. Damn another lost day.

Russell any chance of getting a photo of your flue looking down onto the Brickwork am curious as to how you finished that, as I probably will follow your method of connection.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                            Most of my pics are in the picassa link. There should be some there.
                            Russell

Comment

Nah Russell not that one[photo looking down the finished flue rather than up] have looked. But I worked it out. I was thinking you put another brick cap around then flue. Bit am guessing you dynabolted anchor plate too your cap and then cemented that to your chimney. How sturdy is it as you are hanging 4' of flue off something not very high. Does the flue wobble at all?

Can you explain that odd shaped brick cannot work out how and where you used it.?

Saved some of those photos so I can study your techniques.
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-01-2013, 07:03 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Hey all i have heard it all now.

Found flue in US, $350US same as Russell [Utahbeehiver], now this will make you laugh $734US total cost [including Flue] to get it to Aus.

What a joke. One box, not that heavy so they want $384 freight costs.

Got to be cheaper freight than that available to this country. I mean 1 of - 48" flue 10" wide ext dimension, cap, anchor plate, storm collar, spark arrestor.

Hmmm they say its cheaper to buy OS, since when even the vendor was gob smacked.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X