new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Hey Russell rechecked your Picasso album - how much insulation did you use blanket, vermiculite?. Seems substantial. The tapcon screws are drilled into what? Mortar, brick?
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

2 times 1.5" ceramic fiber blanket and 2-3" of perlcrete and 1/2-3/4" strucco. Drilled into concrete hearth about an inch from the dome or as close as I could because the screws would be covered the the CF and percrete. and on the sides at mortar joints. The screws are not set to hold the world just enough to add tension to the rebar wire to hold the CF and something for the chicken wire to fasten to.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/3...tml#post154110

PS that piece of SS for a thermal break looks very familiar...........
      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell The cf Looks more than that. Must say am glad I got past the arch. Take grinder to inside hopefully this weekend. Think I will follow your lead with the tapcon and wire. Might have to rethink as I'm putting shiralite on first. Any suggestions? Do you see a problem with half inch chicken wire?

SS cost $10 and yes very familiar.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-26-2013, 06:45 AM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

I am not familiar with shiralite I remember you talking about it earlier in your thread. I only rendered my dome because I had some leftover homebrew materials as I was building the oven. My chick wire was 1" so 1/2" should be even better. Make yourself a curved float for your shiralite or perlite or vcrete, it helps alot to keep the shape of the dome consistent.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russel shiralite is similar to vermiculate perlite. Apparently when applied it looks like insulating brick.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Guys

Does anyone know if anyone as constructed a flared entry with a hemispherical inner and outer arch. I have been searching to no avail most seem to use a straight walls.

any help here is appreciated
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                Hi Guys

Does anyone know if anyone as constructed a flared entry with a hemispherical inner and outer arch. I have been searching to no avail most seem to use a straight walls.

any help here is appreciated
                Colin,

I also looked in doing the flared entry. I opted for making the reveal on the inner arch to a maximum. I thought the flare would be too complicated. I'm modeling my outer arches like the Mississippi Queen. My thoughts are this should allow better access with the oven tools and accomplish basically the same thing as a flared entry.
                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Hi guys wasn't going to load these up until I achieved more, but what the ......
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                    Colin,

I also looked in doing the flared entry. I opted for making the reveal on the inner arch to a maximum. I thought the flare would be too complicated. I'm modeling my outer arches like the Mississippi Queen. My thoughts are this should allow better access with the oven tools and accomplish basically the same thing as a flared entry.
                    The biggest limiting factors in accessing the oven are your inner arch and the depth of the entry. My experience in using my oven for a year is that it has not once crossed my mind that I would like a flared entry. I don't know that it delivers any real practical advantage. Leave enough of a reveal around the arch to fit a door in and you'll be fine. I have wished my entry and landing were shorter. I would shorten up the landing if I did it over again.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi Dennis

Yeah on thinking about the vent. and speaking with Doug last night. Thinking i will reconsider the flared arch based on consensus. Doug mentioned that he would have a bigger reveal say around 2" you have said you would shorten yours. I will go and recheck your thread.

I was thinking about running my landing arch around the inner arch [ full brick height ]. This would give a reveal of 115mm [ the height of the inner arch as it stands now ] and having the front of the landing before the decorative arch a little lower similar to what i know John is doing. Also tapering the front vent arch bricks to funnel the smoke. [Thanks Doug for that tip]

I know others haven't done this it was just a series of thoughts i have had when thnking it through.

Any thoughts on this?
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

What I meant is that I would shorten my landing, not the reveal. I think my reveal is probably and inch, and that works pretty well. My door is maybe 1/2 inch bigger than the inner arch on either side, which gives plenty of room to get the door into the opening without banging the edges of the vent. 115mm sounds like a lot of reveal. that's 9 inches total bigger than your inner arch? Mine is 2 inches total. Maybe 3, I can't remember off hand.

Distance to my oven is 9" for the entry+ another foot for the landing = 21". I would rather have that be 6" shorter, if I had planned better.
                        My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          What I meant is that I would shorten my landing, not the reveal. I think my reveal is probably and inch, and that works pretty well.
                          Thanks Dennis

the reveal point I was making was what Karangi told me last night that he would have made his 2-2.5" instead of an inch. I understood you would shorten the landing. That is interesting to know 15" is the figure to look at.

I checked out your build again - I want your rain cap they don't makem like that over here. I went to the guy who can help me with my flue issue [fabricator] now waiting on quote with baited breathe hoping it wont be ridiculously priced. He said i'd be better importing the Rain Cap first so he could manufacture to it. Do you know what finish grade the stainless steel cap is eg. 2b, No. 4 etc.

Now thinking I will import cap and then get flue made to the cap.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Got it. Not sure what the grade of SS it is. It's the duravent 8'. It's probably 304 or 316 SS
                            My build progress

Comment

Dennis

Do you know any one in your area that ships to Australia?
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi All

Ok thought I would take some daylight photo's of where I am at. After taking the angle grinder to the inside of the dome to knock of some rough edges and a few misaligned bricks.

Diamond cup wheels are grouse....
                                Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-06-2013, 12:24 AM.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X