new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

So I have now worked towards completion.

i'm just going to post a mess load of progress photo's in some order first the flue gallery completion.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-03-2013, 04:09 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Got a start on the decorative arch. I wont progress much before Xmas on this unless I get it insulated quickly.

You can also notice the thermocouples I made poking out. My idea is that I will cap them and use as I see fit. Might make them permanent or not. Will decide later but will only use 5 in total should I go that route.
      Cheers Colin

Comment

Then the brick cap around the flue. Hey Russell does it look familiar. I used arch bricks so water can run away from the flue. Will seal later.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

And a few more
          Cheers Colin

Comment

And what everyone likes to see FIRE. and it felt good...and even draws ok.

Last photo is the nice and tidy and clean dome no longer tidy and clean.

Was quite surprised how hot it got up top. Will get a layer of insulation [shiralite] on, on the weekend and then begin the cure while I get the blanket on.

And thank you to all those who assisted as I couldn't have achieved what I have without all the help you guys have provided to me via posts, PM's, emails and by phone.

Anyway pizza not far away.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-03-2013, 04:48 AM.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Congrats on the first fire, looks like everything is coming along nicely. I can smell the pizza baking already can't wait to see the pics.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                Got a start on the decorative arch. I wont progress much before Xmas on this unless I get it insulated quickly.

You can also notice the thermocouples I made poking out. My idea is that I will cap them and use as I see fit. Might make them permanent or not. Will decide later but will only use 5 in total should I go that route.
                Gudday
                Unless you get the insulation done? It will able to be used without it. Never really made up my mind completely on which way to go on when to cure. I lean towards curing the dome shell before insulating. My gut feeling is there is to much water trapped by to many layers and a lot of a lot of ovens and they crack due to steam.
                My own experience was the wood form was burnt out and I used the oven before I used dry insulated and rendered. Min moisture and only a couple of hairline cracks in the entrance due to having steel supports.
                Using pearlcrete as a layer above the dry insulation I don't think myself is really required and only adds extra moisture and complexity to the build. You can render over dry insulation and get a good shape. If fact pearlcrete is a sh@t to work with and the water pours out of the stuff into your dry insulation which can't be good. Render is much easier to work into shape than pearlcrete.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I agree with Dave. I took the advice during the build to cure while working finishing oven, all the moisture was gone by the time I insulated.

I had cooked quite a few pizza's whilst I was waiting to finish.

In fact, the insulation was on for some time before final vermiculite and render layers applied (covered with a tarp).

Over 12 months later, I only have two small cracks in outer render, and these are near the vent where I know the blanket was not applied as well as the rest of the dome.

Cheers

Craig
                  "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                  The Pirate Captain

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMERS WFO View Post
                    I agree with Dave. I took the advice during the build to cure while working finishing oven, all the moisture was gone by the time I insulated.

I had cooked quite a few pizza's whilst I was waiting to finish.

In fact, the insulation was on for some time before final vermiculite and render layers applied (covered with a tarp).

Over 12 months later, I only have two small cracks in outer render, and these are near the vent where I know the blanket was not applied as well as the rest of the dome.

Cheers

Craig
                    Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                    Gudday
                    Unless you get the insulation done? It will able to be used without it. Never really made up my mind completely on which way to go on when to cure. I lean towards curing the dome shell before insulating. My gut feeling is there is to much water trapped by to many layers and a lot of a lot of ovens and they crack due to steam.
                    My own experience was the wood form was burnt out and I used the oven before I used dry insulated and rendered. Min moisture and only a couple of hairline cracks in the entrance due to having steel supports.
                    Using pearlcrete as a layer above the dry insulation I don't think myself is really required and only adds extra moisture and complexity to the build. You can render over dry insulation and get a good shape. If fact pearlcrete is a sh@t to work with and the water pours out of the stuff into your dry insulation which can't be good. Render is much easier to work into shape than pearlcrete.
                    Regards dave
                    thanks Dave and Craig

I understand both your points of view and have agonized over this one, especially considering that everyone has done the reverse of what I am doing.

However, after much consideration and views from 3 commercial oven builders I have decided to use Shiralite around the Dome to insulate and lock the bricks in place. It is used in Commercial oven builds in this order and suggested to me by someone that has been in the oven building business for 30 years. I then researched it too death.

Once this is layed over the Dome I will begin a slow and steady oven cure.

Once the Shiralite has dried [very easy to tell] I will then begin to apply the Blanket. Now I know various builders out there say always use the blanket first as it is a better insulator but insulation is insulation. My view after research is that blanket is flexible so if using 75 - 100mm of blanket then vermicrete, then Render. Then you have a soft layer over the oven. Its just a view I have that differs from the norm.

I do intend putting in a vent at the top of the Dome like yours Dave which by the way I must go and get before the weekend.

I built a Utahbeehiver special today.
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-04-2013, 05:01 AM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

Lots of ways to skin the cat, sometimes ya just got to do what works for you.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Gudday Colin
                        Yes what you doing is sensible, you will be drying the oven out at the shiralite stage which is great as you will not arrive at the end with a huge mass of wet oven.
                        regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

What's interesting with shiralite is you know it's dry by the color it turns. Acquired a burner like Liteceeper used. Will double as a paella burner moving forward. Of course I can use oven too.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-04-2013, 04:54 PM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Liteceeper 3 more question.

Do you have a close up of how you fastened the blanket in place?.
                            Also did you lay the render in one day?
                            and how many bags and what brand render did you use?

Love the symmetry of those render application shots. Your application technique is simple and effective with the flexible pipe.
                            Hi Colin
                            Apologies for the slow reply, been cookin
                            The render was laid one strip per day, I initially laid a 3" (75mm) strip using plastic garden edging set out from calsil with 2" (50mm) timber blocks and held in place with bricks.
                            Then next day rendered between this and the 2" (50mm) corrugated conduit, in hind-sight I would have made the first strip slightly smaller about 6" 180mm.
                            Let set overnight, removed conduit next day and set higher after trimming for diameter reducing. Repeat until at top where I laid strips across top to continue gauge as diameter to small for a circle of conduit.

The render was 5:1 Exfoliators Litefill Premium Perlite and Brightonlite HE cement. I used 3.5 8kg bags of perlite and 4 20kg cement.

Blanket held by wires ran across dome to long screws anchored in calsil board with about 6" of tail on each end of wire. I had a screw in top centre of dome which I wrapped wire around and continued to screw on opposite side when all wires in place I removed screw and tie all wires together with small piece of wire. This allowed wires to be removed from screws as blanket was wrapped around dome and wires passed over blanket. The blanket had wedges cut with large shears to allow for neat fit.
                            Liteceeper
                            ~~~~~~~
                            My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
                            My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Liteceeper.

One more so your render is perlite and cement! Is this the top coat or will you be using a cement solid render on top of that?

Love your technique with the blanket.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Thanks Liteceeper.

One more so your render is perlite and cement! Is this the top coat or will you be using a cement solid render on top of that?

Love your technique with the blanket.
                                No, top coat will be DryPak Render Coat same as patio walls approx 5-8mm thick.
                                Not sure what I will do then paint, tile, stick on brick ends.
                                Liteceeper
                                ~~~~~~~
                                My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
                                My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X