new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Xmas lunch photo's with all the pans in the oven makes cooking Xmas lunch so easy. Just a matter of working out when to put each tray in. Next time I wont have a fire when cooking. Had to watch everything and keep turning regularly. But it was so moist and yummy. Everyone took some home with them. The stuffing balls was left from stuffing the turkey they were a hit and I only just managed to grab one.

The last photo was a what to do with left over vegetables had that tonight with a rack of lamb with Italian crust Vegetable Frittata. What made this was using roasted vegetables and cauliflower with the white sauce, added some Ricotta, and smoked piquillo peppers made this delicious.

Photo 3 is my make shift door wood wrapped in alfoil a piece of hebel a hole for thermometer to pass through as you can see a short pizza firing the previous night at 7pm at night still holding 200c.

Tried cooking 2 loaves of bread one around 280c [to hot] second at 220c was better. I just used a pan not on hearth didn't have a chance to clean floor.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-28-2013, 01:29 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

Still struggling getting the floor temp up there.

Getting the water out from the under floor insulation is the hardest and takes the longest. Keep cooking.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David. That is for certain...... Not sure how water gets there as it has always been covered.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Isn't it vermicrete under your floor?
          If so you added heaps of water to it when you mixed and laid it.

Comment

Nope - Calsil only plus the 75mm Hebel Panel used for hearth.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Well unless you added tons of water to the calsil, you would think it would be dry by now.

Comment

might need longer firing. What temp should the floor reach?
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Mine goes over 550 C which is my IR max. And does two secs for the semolina test. First pizza cooked partly in the entry, then subsequent ones get pushed in deeper as floor temp stabilizes, but every oven is different. Keep firing and cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Thanks David. That is for certain...... Not sure how water gets there as it has always been covered.
                    Gudday
                    Capillary action sucks!!! It probably sucked the moisture in during the oven construction. Now its a full structure its down deep. Every time you fire the oven the dried inside will attract the moisture for you to get rid of in the next firing.
                    Like Dave's says keep firing.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi colin, Just like to say your Xmas lunch and Frittata looks good.

I can't help much with the water problem. It's harder then you first think to remove all water out of it.

Cheers,

Comment

FYI,

If I fire up the oven for Pizza, The difference between top of dome and heath temperature would probably be less then 50c. I try for a the heath to be under 400c. Temperatures over this are to hot. Though at the entry its cooler, so can start cooking and work my way deeper in as it stabilizes.

At lower temperatures the difference is less. We did Pizza last night, and cooked a tortano a few hours ago using the heat from last night.

I just checked the difference between top of dome 185c and heart 178c is less the 10 degrees. Its probably less the 20c difference at the door opening and top of dome.

Thus the dome is saturated with low heat and not much difference anywhere. Note the door is on.

Steve.
                        Last edited by brissie; 12-29-2013, 03:12 AM.

Comment

thanks guys

Will keep firing. Tonight firing took around 4 hours to clear. Will go and check hearth temps its now 11:43pm started firing at 3.30pm. Oven cleared at around 8.30pm. Current temps are 360c top of dome 350c at wall cooking side of dome half way up 310c floor.

Don't think I have ever seen floor above 350c. FYI my floor is 75mm firebrick tile

I have never had more than 3 logs burning at once. Should I try ramping it up with more? What would the suggestion be. I read on this site that guys are getting to pizza temps with 3 logs, Davids in a earlier post on this thread, floor gets to over 500c.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

When my dome ha s cleared (around 1 hr 20 mins) , I don't consider it ready for pizza. I usually fire my oven for about another 20-30 mins with the whole chamber full of flames- really give it to her. But as I said, every oven is different, my walls and floor are only 2" thick. But I think you could probably get more aggressive with the fire.

Comment

Gudday Colin
                              What's with the logs? Sticks are best, never anything thicker than you wrist. The fire needs to cover as much of the floor as possible. Just keep loading them in . Too much is when the flames start licking out the door, just under that is perfect. The floors the lowest point, heat goes up, and its often insulated by the ash as well so its the hardest to heat. Lots of ovens have 50mm floors so there quicker to heat. Yours is 75mm so it stores a bit of heat , you just got to get it there first.
                              Regards Dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Ok I will give it to her next firing and smaller is better
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X