My Wood fired Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Wood fired Redux

Then it was on to the hearth. Here is the last large scrap of granite I have to work with. It was barely big enough to use.

Leveling the top.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1569 111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	295729

Remove the large waste parts.

Name:	IMG_1571 222.jpg
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	295730

Grind off the chisel marks.

Name:	IMG_1573 333.jpg
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	295731
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Then I made a template of the hearth and started cutting it out.

Name:	IMG_1578 444.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	295733

Name:	IMG_1579 555.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	295734

Here's were I ended the day.

Name:	IMG_1580 6666.jpg
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	295735

I'll need 4-6 hours to finish carving and honing. Then on to more framing.
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

That's gonna look nice...
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Wow!!,
          This is getting good , and so much above my "pay-grade" . But, I do love it .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks guys.

Gulf,

If I could redo the watertable( I'm stuck now) , I would add some Black Beauty to the mix (black sandblast slag)...it would better replicate the feldspar in the granite. Next time.....
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Top notch, ranks in top tier class of 2013 wfo builds
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Utah,

I would think that is perspective..but thanks for the compliment. I am really enjoying myself I must say. It's different than the others I have built..for clients, there is pressure to finish by a date, or occasion. Even the other one I built for myself was hurried because we were selling the house, and I wanted to use it a bunch before we closed (about 8 months worth).

This one I get to take my time with, and work on it as time allows (and drive tsacr nuts) and as a bonus, get to use material I already have. Pretty soon it will be over, and the pics will be of pizza and other wfo goodness....that is until I start on the counter-top area and patio.

A couple hints on what I am going to do next....think Aqueducts with the counter base. The patio...cobblestone streets.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

So T-storms shut me down early, but I finished the hearth and dry fitted it. All I have to do now is to relieve the edges of the pedestal blocks and hone them.
                  It's dark in the picture because I just finished wet sanding it.

Name:	IMG_1583 3.jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	295753

Name:	IMG_1585 5.jpg
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	295754

Name:	IMG_1586 6.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	295755
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Two words cover it. Pure class.
                    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Today I took the arch and hearth assembly down to complete the bevel edge on the watertable. I was able to polish the pedestal blocks, and cut two small brick pieces for my landing floor. I was planning an inlay, but decided just to put the pieces in.
                      Then it was all re-assembled using Lexel instead of mortar, because I don't want a joint, and dry setting isn't an option.

On to framing!
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

It has rained for 3 days straight...today 50% chance. I have some more stone fabrication to do, so that will be today..if it starts pouring I won't have to do the funky chicken covering up the oven before it soaks up water.

No new framing done since last week, but I picked up roofing material so at least I have it here. Gulf, I think you'll dig what I'm doing for the roof cap.
                        Last edited by stonecutter; 07-05-2013, 05:27 AM.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                          .......... Gulf, I think you'll dig what I'm doing for the roof cap.
                          I dig every thing about your oven . I'm still trying to visualize the (Roman?) aqueduct arches for you counters, though. If you stay true to your style, that is going to be awesome!!. Back to "dig", now that is a dated term

Can't hardly wait to see pics of your progress.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            Back to "dig", now that is a dated term
                            It wasn't really being used much when I was younger, except by a couple older relatives...and on the Brady Bunch.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              I'm still trying to visualize the (Roman?) aqueduct arches for you counters, though......
                              What I want to do is build the arches like the ones in Lisbon, Portugal...specifically The ?guas Livres Aqueduct. Mainly because I have already built the pointed (Gothic) vault running through the oven base, and I would like to carry that look through for the counter support, instead of having a solid wall. The issue is time..so who knows when I'll get to it. What I am thinking is pour the footings as soon as the oven stone work is done, that way I'll have extra motivation to start the series of arches. One of my wacky ideas is to imbed a water line that would run under the counter to a sink ( either carved stone or a cast ramp sink)..to make it kind of an aqueduct delivery...I don't know. That's cart before the horse at this point.

I only have about 25 or so of that antique brick left, so the Aqueduct counter" will be all stone..except the counter itself.

The vault is working out great...we have been having monsoon like weather the last two months. But even though the brick absorbs the rain water, because the stone base is dry and there is lots of surface area, it dries out very quickly. I think I'll be building more bases like this in the future.
                              Last edited by stonecutter; 07-06-2013, 03:11 AM.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

More rain,rain rain. Got the roof framed, but I am extending the overhang over the opening because it will look better...so a step back. But I got it tar papered so at least its fairly protected.

I am doing cedar shakes for the roof, after much back and forth. The original plan was thin flagging for the roof to look similar to this. This will have to wait for the next one....likely at my parents home.

Name:	STONE ROOF.JPG
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	295970

But I think the shakes will look good and break up the stone look. Along the same line of thought, I am going to stucco finish my chimney, because it will be faster and lighter weight. I'm thinking it will finish like this, without the taper...

Name:	WFO CHIMNEY IDEA.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	295971

I feel like my oven has developed style-wise, more like the communal ovens in France ( Four Banal ) so I have tried to stick with that theme since I finished the base. If this wet weather pattern breaks I can really make some progress.
                                Last edited by stonecutter; 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X