Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Wood fired Redux

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Nice door. I also like a wooden door, but the heat cooking it is a problem, especially without an insulating panel. Only use it for baking and roasting temperatures. You can monitor the wood temperature with your hand. After a couple of hours you may find it gets pretty hot and the inside may be beginning to char. Will that one iron ring be sufficient to lift it? It looks pretty heavy.
    Thanks.

I usually don't leave the door on while there is an active fire, and if I do, it's in the vent area, acting as a damper. I don't know if you caught this, but the panel is insulated...it's almost 2" wide, and filled with mineral wool. If there is a need, I'll fill the air space between the metal and the wood with more insulation, then cover the gap with a strip of stainless.

The ring is more than sufficient...that's no cheap hardware store accessory. The post is about 3/4" ( 1.94 cm or 19.05 mm, take your pick) 3" long (7.62 cm) hand forged goodness, and is tightly fixed into two layers of wood.. I don't find the door heavy, but I am used to lifting stone, so it's perspective. The door won't hang by only the ring when lifting anyway, I don't have a cavernous vent area...I more or less slide the door out.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Ok, I see now. Interested to hear how it performs.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Me too....hopefully, the worst that happens is a bit of darkening.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hi StoneCutter

Nice door might model mine on your's. Hope you are ok with that.

When you finish your oven we might need a new category

MASTERPIECE

Still love that one piece granite decorative arch
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks Colin. Don't mind at all, none of the elements of the door are an original design concept.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Awesome work. Good job.
              Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Thanks V-WIZ...I see you're enjoying your oven by the looks of it.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Yes Sir i am, just wish i could use it more often.
                  Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Glad to hear that...me too these last couple weeks.

We are headed north on Saturday, and I have plans to hit a bunch of WfO places in CT & NYC, and of course, a couple coal fired ones too. So no oven construction or pizza making for a while.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I was digging around my picture files yesterday, looking for something to show a client, and stumbled upon some pictures I thought a few might be interested in.

The pictures show were the granite components like the chimney supports, keystones, hearth and arch assembly came from. It was a project in New England, and the client had no use for the cut offs...I was glad to have them when the build started.

Before
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	granitesteps2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	297826

This is how I cut the ends to get the length I need. The hearth, arch assembly and the keystones came off end cuts like this.

Name:	granitesteps4.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	297827

The smaller piece was what I cut into blocks, and then shaped the chimney supports. I was originally going to use it for a hitching post, but I didn't have any other granite that worked for the supports, so plan B it was

Name:	granitesteps8.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	297828
                      Last edited by stonecutter; 10-11-2013, 04:26 AM.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Just curious.

When you drill the holes and put in the wedges how often does it not crack where you want it too?
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Maybe this sounds like baloney....but never these days.

At least, not since my first couple months of splitting, 16 years ago. I always trace the line with a carbide chisel first, and that encourages the stone to spit along the line I choose, instead of what the grain of the stone would do on it's own.

Notice the chisel line in between the drill holes, and down the face.

Name:	granitesteps3.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	297829

This is the stone in pic #2 in the above post. Notice that the break crept off the line a bit on the face. It didn't matter, because it followed my trace on the other side, and that material was removed during trimming.

Once you master this technique, you can fit large stone pretty tight with some chisel work.

Name:	granitesteps11.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	297830
                          The only power tools used on this project were a combo hammer for the holes and a pneumatic carving tool with a bush hammer bit.

Name:	granitesteps5.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	297831
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Sharp eyes will see the first and third stone in the first picture of the full size granite ( post #295) are missing one corner each.

Those are the ends that were cut off, then carved into the arch and the hearth.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Some years ago I had an urge to learn dry stone walling, there are only two courses that are conducted in Australia that I could find.

One never replied to my enquiry so I booked a one day course in Hobart Tasmania, a 1/2 hour flight away over Bass Straight.
                              I missed the out bound flight by 1 minute (Jet Star) so had to pay an extra $90 for the next flight which was 1/2 hour later.

On arrival in Hobart I got a shuttle bus to the venue only to find that the course was all done on a whiteboard with not a stone or rock in sight.
                              I could have done the course out of a book.....

Feeling let down I walked into Hobart and had some fish and chips for lunch, my homeward flight was 4 hours away so I just sat and drank coffee.
                              Hobart is a really lovely place to sit and drink coffee so it wasnt all bad.

Arriving back in Melbourne I went to pay for car parking at the airport, $70 for the day.....

All up the day cost me around $500.....
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

How long ago was that? The dry walling community has grow tremendously the last 10-15 years, there is probably a proper work shop somewhere close by ( relatively) if you wanted to try again....if.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X