new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Yeah the edge is tricky was just going to grout it.
    I know you can get those stainless strips but don't think they'd suit the theme.

Comment

OK so did the grout today. It's still drying properly so it hasn't been cleaned off yet.

Also spent more time today working on the formwork. The front is now done (see photo) just need to do the two pieces on each side and also build the box for around the flue.

Lastly, I had a quick attempt at lighting my first fire this afternoon. I tried doing a vertical stack with some really dry leaves and twigs on top. Unfortunately I couldn't get them to light with my little gas light or matches. Newspaper flared up really easy of course but it didn't get hot enough and nothing below caught

Reading up on the lighting fires thread and it seems a propane torch is the fail safe way to go so I might buy one of those and try another time.

Couple of questions:

1) how long after I have enclosed the dome with my concrete render until it's dry and I would be able to get to pizza temps? We've pencilled in easter as being the first pizza night so hoping it will be ready by then (plan to concrete render starting next weekend)

2) I assembled my modular oven without using cement to seal the pieces together which I read was OK but I am a tad concerned about where the front entrance meets the dome as there is a 5-10mm gap between some of the blocks. Should I seal these gaps inside the entrance? Do I need to worry about smoke getting in between the render and dome through the insulation?

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
        Yeah the edge is tricky was just going to grout it.
        I know you can get those stainless strips but don't think they'd suit the theme.
        You might consider an exterior grade colored, sanded caulk.....joints like that won't stay closed for long with grout.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

G'day
          I can see your concern with that gape between the oven shell and the entrance piece. Is it an overlapping fit like you dome?
          If you were to seal it I'm not sure what would suit. Your high temp silicon sealer? A lime sand mix? I'm only sure that a Portland one would not be suitable.
          Would Davids give us an insite?
          Regards Dave
          Ps "don't go over to the dark side young Luke" stick at the top down method. You'll be a one match bushie in no time
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	974.5 KB
ID:	303739
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Do I need to worry about smoke getting in between the render and dome through the insulation?
            No, there's no air flow great enough through the insulation to allow that....unless you have a gaping crack in your cladding.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

OK so did the grout today. It's still drying properly so it hasn't been cleaned off yet.

Also spent more time today working on the formwork. The front is now done (see photo) just need to do the two pieces on each side and also build the box for around the flue.

Lastly, I had a quick attempt at lighting my first fire this afternoon. I tried doing a vertical stack with some really dry leaves and twigs on top. Unfortunately I couldn't get them to light with my little gas light or matches. Newspaper flared up really easy of course but it didn't get hot enough and nothing below caught

Reading up on the lighting fires thread and it seems a propane torch is the fail safe way to go so I might buy one of those and try another time.

Couple of questions:

1) how long after I have enclosed the dome with my concrete render until it's dry and I would be able to get to pizza temps? We've pencilled in easter as being the first pizza night so hoping it will be ready by then (plan to concrete render starting next weekend)

2) I assembled my modular oven without using cement to seal the pieces together which I read was OK but I am a tad concerned about where the front entrance meets the dome as there is a 5-10mm gap between some of the blocks. Should I seal these gaps inside the entrance? Do I need to worry about smoke getting in between the render and dome through the insulation?

Thanks guys
              I usually drive all the water out of the oven before applying the outer render. Then, after completing the outer render I usually give it a sponge finish then wrap the whole thing in cling wrap to hold the moisture in the render layer for strength. I leave it for a week then start firing.

Not quite sure about your second question (need a pic), but smoke should not get into your insulation layer unless there is somewhere for it to get out, like perhaps a vent. Some smoke getting into your insulation layer would not be detrimental anyhow. I have a gap between my front decorative arch and the inner parts of the dome which allows free expansion of the inner parts without putting pressure on the outer parts. You could fill the spaces with 5:1 vermicrete if they worry you.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                G'day
                I can see your concern with that gape between the oven shell and the entrance piece. Is it an overlapping fit like you dome?
                If you were to seal it I'm not sure what would suit. Your high temp silicon sealer? A lime sand mix? I'm only sure that a Portland one would not be suitable.
                Would Davids give us an insite?
                Regards Dave
                Ps "don't go over to the dark side young Luke" stick at the top down method. You'll be a one match bushie in no time

Unlike the dome, there is no overlap between the dome and the entrance.
                If it needs sealing I think I would use the same high temp silicon I bought for sealing the flue - though it will be hotter there so maybe I should use that flueseal product I linked back a page or two - if the consensus is that it needs to be sealed. It seems David-s thinks it will not be a problem.

As for my firing - no plans to deviate from the top down method, I just need to get more heat in there to start the fire which a propane torch will do quite happily

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  I usually drive all the water out of the oven before applying the outer render. Then, after completing the outer render I usually give it a sponge finish then wrap the whole thing in cling wrap to hold the moisture in the render layer for strength. I leave it for a week then start firing.

Not quite sure about your second question (need a pic), but smoke should not get into your insulation layer unless there is somewhere for it to get out, like perhaps a vent. Some smoke getting into your insulation layer would not be detrimental anyhow. I have a gap between my front decorative arch and the inner parts of the dome which allows free expansion of the inner parts without putting pressure on the outer parts. You could fill the spaces with 5:1 vermicrete if they worry you.
                  Thanks for the reply david. Yeah the dome/insulation is completely dry so it's ready for the render.
                  I'm hoping I can do my concrete render in two days.
                  I would like to do the nice sponge finish but unfortunately it is not possible (at least on the entry area) as I am using formwork to pour the concrete render and get really nice straight vertical lines.
                  I will be painting with an outdoor waterproof textured paint so that will have to do.
                  The render will seal the oven (silicon around the flue) so yeah there is nowhere for the smoke to escape.

Thanks a ton for your insight and putting my concerns to rest

Off to go shopping for a propane torch now

Comment

G'day applor
                    I'm getting the idea you really want a propane torch. O well one day one day it will run out of gas .... You'll have to use the "force "then
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      G'day applor
                      I'm getting the idea you really want a propane torch. O well one day one day it will run out of gas .... You'll have to use the "force "then
                      Regards dave
                      Well I just want trouble free fire starting. Always keep a spare can of gas if you run out.

That is unless you have an alternative on to get the fire started? Do you use firelighters or are you able to get it going with just matches?

Comment

Eagle Scout log cabin with a couple of pieces of newsprint down the middle. One match. Works a treat.
                        Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 03-24-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

G'day
                          Splash a bit of metho ( denatured alcohol ) on to some charcoal left over from a previous fire ..... Instant firefighters no Kero smell!. My problem is finding newspaper sometimes we only get the Sunday paper and I've got to hide it before the child bride throws it out. The funny colours in the flames coming out of the advertising phamplets disturbs me a bit.
                          Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

I've ordered a hand torch for $20 off ebay

As for newspaper, I work in Bris CBD so I have an endless supply of MX newspapers to pilfer for fires

Comment

G'day
                              Looks like you have it covered.

Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

G'day
                                Talk about having it covered ..... Got a tarp ready?
                                Seen the wheather report for the week?
                                They are talking about rain not that showery stuff ..... Fridays to be a storm thrown in for good measure. Might slow you down a tad and you definitly need that cover
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X