• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Texman Build

Originally posted by texman View Post
    Two questions:
    1. Buttressing of the arch. do i need to do this? maybe so since my chimney is HUGE?

2. plywood or concrete board on chimney chase? concrete- good for chimney fire but bad to attach siding to. Plywood-easy to work, strong, easy to attach siding too. bad for chimney fire.
    I really think the plywood/osb is fine. my other chimney is plywood covered in steel siding for the last 20 years and no problems.

tex
    1. Yes, I think that you should buttress your arch, incapsulate, and insulate your chimney up to the level of your triple wall with vcrete. ( for support). Also, incapsulate and install fiberglass insulation or loose fill vermiculate up to the ceiling height . (for extra assurance since you are installing under a cover attached to your home). The fibergass or loose fill vermiculite will not interfere with the holes in your triple wall but, will give you valuable time if there is a failure in the masonry portion of your flu.

2. Plywood is stronger initially. You may be alright with it for the bracing of your "above roof" chimney for a long time. However, I would incorporate some steel strut bracing into this portion of the framing and go with concrete board, should a leak or simular failure occur. If not, atleast I would install the strut type (diagonol bracing) into the above roof chimney framing.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I buttressed my arch just to tie it into the hearth. Other than the buttress, it was completely freestanding. If you have that concern, I would buttress.

You bought triple walled pipe for your chimney, right? Seems like you should be able to forgo the concrete board, but I guess when in doubt, RTFM .

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Two questions:
    1. Buttressing of the arch. do i need to do this? maybe so since my chimney is HUGE?

2. plywood or concrete board on chimney chase? concrete- good for chimney fire but bad to attach siding to. Plywood-easy to work, strong, easy to attach siding too. bad for chimney fire.
    I really think the plywood/osb is fine. my other chimney is plywood covered in steel siding for the last 20 years and no problems.

tex

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Welcome back Tom. I'm glad the FB folks properly recognized you as one of the most valuable contributors on this site.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

hey! you're back. Glad that worked out. I know i have posted those as well. I will be careful.
    Tracy
    Last edited by texman; 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I was banned for posting outside links, just careless on my part. They lifted it, and I will be more careful in the future.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

DVM
    Thanks. If you don't have patience when you start this project, it will be given to you in heaps.

You are right about Tscar, i hadn't seen that. HE has been a great help to me on many aspects. I am asking too, so i hope i don't get banned.

I thought you only got banned for talking about using gas in your ovens and trying to sale stuff on the forum?

I hope he can be given some grace. he is a great resource of knowledge and encouragement.

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

So four holes and tapcons and ended up knocking a brick loose on the top of vent drilling the holes, then reset it and knocked it loose again getting the pipe in and connected. 3rd time is the charm for me.
    Tracy
    You are a patient and persistent man! Great work and your build is looking great. You will be sending smoke up that chimney in no time. I will be stalking any advice you receive on stucco as park of my surround will have stucco features.

I noticed a few posts back that Tscarborough has been banned. Any Idea why? Will I be banned for asking?
    Last edited by dvm; 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks Les. I think i added a few inches to that chimney cause i didn't want any smoke in the kitchen with my low ceiling as well as all the other reasons too. I planned on trying 6' of pipe and seeing how it did and then the caveman in me thought "just get another 3', it draw good" It will be interesting to get a good fire going and see how the draw is; might get a roar going.

Amac
    Thanks and good to hear from you. Maybe that's why i have so much trouble in my kitchen, I cant even post pictures correctly. sorry about the neckache. i am sending advil via the stargate for you. should arrive shortly Your build looks great btw. I really like that concrete work. I wanted to do something more like that, but i had so many sq ft and you only live so long, i decided to use the troweled finish on the bar. I think i (i mean we) have finally settled on a stucco enclosure for the oven. I was afraid it would make the kitchen feel too "cavey" , but after using some plywood mockups and drawing on some photos, i think it will look ok. The build was difficult, but deciding the final touches that everyone sees is terrifying. No place to hide mistakes.

I will be asking for stucco advice in the near future i bet.

Is there any reason to use concrete board on my chimney chase? It will all be covered with siding and i think plywood or wafer board has much greater shear strength and is easier to work with. I will use screws and liquid nails either way, so the shear strength may be the same in that case and the concrete board wouldn't rot and would be better in the unlikely event of a chimney fire. Any thoughts?

I had planned on adding another course to the vent top/chimney bottom to hold the chimney base plate, but the triple wall has vent holes for air circulation between the two outer walls and i did not want to block those. So four holes and tapcons and ended up knocking a brick loose on the top of vent drilling the holes, then reset it and knocked it loose again getting the pipe in and connected. 3rd time is the charm for me.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Some excellent rigging Tracy. I feel I've cheated by skipping all that work on the chimney - but you are really punishing on my ageing neck muscles not rotating those images.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

It looks great! My concern is that it's going to draw so well that your pizza is going to fly out the flue.

Fire code is a funny thing. Everyone that sells their house in my neighborhood has to raise the chimney. I've been here 22 years w/ no problem but will have to do the same thing when I sell.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

the chimney is 7' above the roof penetration. I think the minimum (code) is 5' above any roof penetration. Also, i have a wood shake roof. When we bought this house many years ago it had a heatilator for a fireplace. The fireplace would backdraft about three in the morning and fill the house with smoke. I replaced the heatilator with a wood stove(that is worth every penny) and added 3' to that chimney. Never had a problem since with that one.
    So along comes the wfo and a smallish vent and west texas wind and all that stuff above and i probably overshot the thing. The wood roof is a big part of it. But, she draws good and once it is veneered and has siding, hopefully it will look ok.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

i built a metal stud chase around the chimney for support and appearance.
    Tracy,

Why are you putting the smoke on the moon? That is a really, really, tall flue.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

If I tilt my head sideways, that looks like a chimney

Glad to hear you are getting that sucker fired up. sorry to hear about the cracks, but I'm pretty sure that's part of the process. Cover 'em up and fergit about 'em.

On to pizza cooking! congrats!

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

here is a pic if the chimney frame

Leave a comment:

Working...
X