K79 Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: K79 Oven Build

did you mean post #268? If yes, I think your dome looks plenty strong to me so far! You still have a couple of inches of overlap which is fine. If anything, you have created a slightly larger buttress at that point which may actually make your dome stronger! (Think stepped pyramids)

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
      did you mean post #268? If yes, I think your dome looks plenty strong to me so far! You still have a couple of inches of overlap which is fine. If anything, you have created a slightly larger buttress at that point which may actually make your dome stronger! (Think stepped pyramids)
      Yes 268 sorry. Ok good deal
      Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

My outter arch is going to be like Ken's arch. My question is regarding the support of the outter arch agains the inner arch. I now realize I could have tapered the front face of my inner arch out and my outter arch could have rested on that. I really wish I would have done that. So... since that option is out of the question, would it be ok to drill in some pins (shown in red on my arch) and drill some holes on my outter arch bricks to have some support there or is that not needed?

My oven with proposed pins:

Ken's Oven (these are the brick I'm worried about):

Comment

K79, I am at exactly the same stage as you and I have a very similar inner and outer arch design!

I was planning on building the outer arch in a similar way to Ken's, and was not going to try and tie the two arches together. I don't think there are any major structural issues there. Also, my chimney and vent plate will serve as a kind of tie-in, but only at the top of course. But this is just my opinion and I will wait to see if others have any opinions on our designs! My inner arch picture is attached.

Comment

You don't need pins. the arch will be very strong.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

K79, I am at exactly the same stage as you and I have a very similar inner and outer arch design!

I was planning on building the outer arch in a similar way to Ken's, and was not going to try and tie the two arches together. I don't think there are any major structural issues there. Also, my chimney and vent plate will serve as a kind of tie-in, but only at the top of course. But this is just my opinion and I will wait to see if others have any opinions on our designs! My inner arch picture is attached.
              I like how you leveled off the arch for your brick layer for your chimney. Are you going stainless steel?

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                I like how you leveled off the arch for your brick layer for your chimney. Are you going stainless steel?
                Yes, I have a Duravent stainless steel vent plate.

I actually have a spare one if you need it! But is only 6 inches. Which is fine for my 32 inch oven but might be too small for you. What size is your oven again?

Comment

Mine is a 36". I really appreciate the offer. I have already ordered a 7" for mine. When do you think you'll start work on your outer arch?

Comment

7" is probably a good size for a 36 inch!

I hope to work on the arch this weekend - it is a long weekend and the weather will be good (hey it's Northern California, the weather is always good here! )

I do have a guy helping me with laying flagstone (actually I am helping him!) so that might take priority....

I am anxious to start some small curing fires!! I don't need a chimney to do that. When do you plan to start firing yours?

Neil

Comment

Once my outter arch is complete and my brick is in place for my anchor plate... I'm hoping around the second or third week in June. Planning on waiting 2 weeks from the last time I tough my mortar before I start any fires. I hope that's long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                        Once my outter arch is complete and my brick is in place for my anchor plate... I'm hoping around the second or third week in June. Planning on waiting 2 weeks from the last time I tough my mortar before I start any fires. I hope that's long enough.
                        I am aligned on waiting... but my count down starts from when I last touched the dome mortar. I am not going to worry too much about waiting on the outer arch and chimney surround. So I am 4 days in!

Comment

I am aligned on waiting... but my count down starts from when I last touched the dome mortar. I am not going to worry too much about waiting on the outer arch and chimney surround. So I am 4 days in!
                          Are you waiting two weeks as well? Also are you wrapping the dome with ceramic fiber blanket? I'm assuming that that should be put on after the curing fires right? Also any photos of your keystone at the top of your dome?
                          Last edited by K79; 05-22-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

You can drive out the water with insulation on or off. There are pros and cons for each method. With the blanket off the moisture can escape more easily and you can inspect the outer brick surface. However, because the moisture reduces the temperature there will be a massive difference in the temperature of the inside and outer surfaces of the dome bricks. This is not good because temperature is related to thermal expansion and the more even that is the better if you are interested in reducing cracking. Another example of this is the cracking of uninsulated clay flue liners.I prefer to drive the water out slowly with the insulation on. It is really hard to go slow when you get to this stage because you are so keen to get it working. There will be lots of water still present even though you think it must be dry. If in doubt throw a sheet of plastic over the oven while firing and see if there is any condensation under it.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

this is a picture of my keystone before it went in. My camera won't focus close enough to take a picture of it inside the dome!

yes, I will probably wait two weeks.

Yes, I will ultimately wrap the dome in a Ceramic Fiber blanket

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                                If in doubt throw a sheet of plastic over the oven while firing and see if there is any condensation under it.
                                That's a really good idea. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X