Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    What I was suggesting is attaching steel studs to the side of your block stand instead of setting a sill plate on top of your slab. I noticed the insulation space is limited.

In light of what you said above, forget about what I mentioned. The 2" space isn't optimal, but I don't think it will effect the performance any. I was thinking you would have less room than that, looking at the pictures.
    Ok I think I have this worked out in my head. Can't seem to draw it on paper with any clarity. But I Pulled the trigger and purchase steel stud material for dog house enclosure and a faux stucco chimney. I just didn't feel comfortable building a all brick chimney to extend above my screen enclosure. A brick layer I'm not. So faux it is. Although is has yet to be seen if I'm a stucco man.

Attaching steel studs on the side of the block stand may be a idea to explore, but I think I'll have enough room with sill place on top with adequate insulation.

Sorry Gulf, I know I said I was modeling my vent and chimney after yours, but your craftsmanship and brick laying skills far out way mine. I will though try to copy your oven landing in some way, with your blessing and guidance of course.

Originally posted by david s View Post
    I went to the army surplus store today too, to get some camouflage pants. I couldn't find any anywhere.
    David...... .................
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
        hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.
        I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Use charcoal in the next phase, it is much easier to control temp.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
            I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
            Water+ heat+ steel = rust.
            if you can get hold of some thin stainless then use it instead.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Use charcoal in the next phase, it is much easier to control temp.
              Thanks Utah,
              I will use charcoal for stage two curing, although the FB plans specifically say do not charcoal in the oven only hard wood. It seems to be the norm for the curing process on the forum. I'm curios why they would of said that.

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Water+ heat+ steel = rust.
              if you can get hold of some thin stainless then use it instead.
              David,
              Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I thought I might have problems. I was wondering if the galvanized coating might gas off and be poisonous. That was my biggest fear. I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I used charcoal with no issues. I placed it on a 16" pizza pan to contain the ash and to remove the heat quickly if needed early on.
                Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.
                  Look for a dead stainless grill or dish washer or fridge or even a stove hood on Craigslist a great source of free or almost free stainless.
                  Last edited by mrchipster; 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM.
                  Chip

Comment

Thanks Utah,
                    I will use charcoal for stage two curing, although the FB plans specifically say do not charcoal in the oven only hard wood. It seems to be the norm for the curing process on the forum. I'm curios why they would of said that.
                    Because the plans are bit old and not refreshed with the latest/greatest innovations from the forum. The plans don't tell you to use an IT, or how to taper your bricks, or how to build a tapered arch either! Lots of room for updating there.

I had visions of some sort of oven building wiki, but lost steam on the idea.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                      I used charcoal with no issues. I placed it on a 16" pizza pan to contain the ash and to remove the heat quickly if needed early on.
                      Good idea K. Did you have to remove the pan very many times?

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                      Look for a dead stainless grill or dish washer or fridge or even a stove hood on Craigslist a great source of free or almost free stainless.
                      Looking for the free stuff.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                      Lots of room for updating there.
                      Charcoal just seems that it belongs in the oven

Thanks Guys for all the help.

I managed to finish my vent floor and heat break. All but the stainless flashing which will be easy to do any time. I manage to slope the oven vent floor landing away from the oven . Once the flashing is in place I think I will be safe from any water intrusion into the insulation entering the front of the oven.

My floor heat break is blend of the those whom trodden before. I'm not sure how well it will perform, but it's better then nothing. I should had used a wider piece of stainless. it would have allowed a thicker section of insulating brick beneath. I ended up with only a one inch sliver of insulating brick. I thought about beveling the two types of brick but didn't thing I would gain much. Most of all the angle cuts would have been a nightmare of difficulty. So it is what it is. I can always put a wider insulating and stainless barrier later if I don't like how it performs.

I incorporated a ceramic fiber band like Gulf did, this should slow some of the heat transfer to the stainless and beyond. We will see......... I allowed the stainless tubing to be slightly higher than the surrounding bricks. This should keep the edges of the bricks from chipping. The square tubing has a nicely rounded corners the and any tool or pans etc... should glide over it easily I hope.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thanks Utah,

David,
                        Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I thought I might have problems. I was wondering if the galvanized coating might gas off and be poisonous. That was my biggest fear. I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.
                        Zinc's melting point is somewhere near 400 C so unless it were inside the oven it should not get anywhere near those numbers. There may be toxic gases given off at lower temps, but I doubt it. Use thin stainless to be safe and corrosion free.

You must be getting really close to some fires by now. That's the exciting part.
                        Last edited by david s; 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

KB,

Very nice to see you incorporate a lot of the items we cut our teeth on. Should be firing soon. I agree with DJ that the Pompelli Plans could use some modernizing.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Keep a close eye on those lights in your oven. I almost melted the rubber coating on the wire with mine. My oven smelled like burnt rubber for a day or so. As far as the removable tray, I only used it when I wanted to end my fire for the night and close my door to keep the heat in when using the coal. Very easy clean up. I used it as well when I was doing my curing fires with wood and for this, yes I did remove that pan a few times to control my heat. Turned out very useful.
                            Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Still slow going here. My temporary enclosure to facilitate firing of oven, adding insulation, building permanent enclosure and stuccoing chimney, has turn out to be a major project in it's self. The rainy season will soon be over, and the need for the temporary enclosure will be less.......Oh well I can take my time............ the end of August is here already.

I manage to finish the chimney penetration, finish my heat breaks and put some masonry fire clay home brew cladding on the dome. I used Koawool caulking to seal my heat breaks. The neutral white turn bright white after drying.......ouch. I wish I would have placed the fiber rope deeper into the recess and hid the caulking joint.....Oh well...........the joint is very firm and I agree with DJ and think it will hold up well..... I would have like to have used the safe stuff Utah used, but it was just too pricey at $43.85 each........Now that I think about it 23, bucks difference is nothing............
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

The caulk at that location will be black soon enough.
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X