X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    All I can say KB is amazing attention to detail
    Simply breath taking.A work of art, a lesson in perfection.especially in incorporating and into existing infrastructure
    Thanks Colin,
    Although I won't call it perfection, far from it..............................Anyway appreciate the confidence...........Arches complete...Decided to change from brick to brick pavers to accent the base,..........I think I like how it turned out.....least wife is happy, that's half the battle...........I hope I have cut my last brick ......Yippie........Just one more,to lay, it will go in front of my pool light j-box. I hope it will conceal it nicely. I plan to cover the last base brick paver in plastic wrap and mortar in place. After it has set up, remove the brick and plastic then replace. I hoping any gap between the brick and the set up mortar can be hidden with cement only paste. If access is needed later, a slight taping would free the brick. I think ..........Does that sound workable? Comments and suggestion needed.

Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      Thanks Colin,
      Although I won't call it perfection, far from it........Comments and suggestion needed............
      No comment, other than "waiting for the finish of your artistic build" .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Cool, I love the repeated Roman arches. It reminds me of the Colosseum.
        Last edited by david s; 02-18-2014, 11:37 PM. Reason: Spelling again
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          No comment, other than "waiting for the finish of your artistic build" .
          Originally posted by david s View Post
          Cool, I love the repeated Roman arches. It reminds me of the Colleseum.
          Waiting for the finish?????....... Rome wasn't build in a day........You all might be waiting for a while..........Wonder how long it took to build the arches in the Coliseum....By my snails pace I would say about a day for each arch a least mine anyhow.

Scratch coat complete on the lower half. A brown and a finish coat and I will be done with the stucco.....its taking my for ever and my body fills as if I had build Rome.......

Time to start studying for the concrete counters.....any suggested reading ideas is appreciated.
          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Waiting for the finish?????....... Rome wasn't build in a day........You all might be waiting for a while..........Wonder how long it took to build the arches in the Coliseum....By my snails pace I would say about a day for each arch a least mine anyhow.

Scratch coat complete on the lower half. A brown and a finish coat and I will be done with the stucco.....its taking my for ever and my body fills as if I had build Rome.......

Time to start studying for the concrete counters.....any suggested reading ideas is appreciated.
            Take your time. Just do it your way! We'll still here.

PS: Lots of great ideas on the web for counters. Do your research. Discover what fits your style .
            Last edited by Gulf; 02-18-2014, 08:49 PM.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I was going to say 12 years, but i wasn't sure. Some say 7-8 years, others say 10. Either way, you have some time before you overtake that project completion date.

Of course if you do take that long you better start cutting solid voussoirs for your arches now. The forum might let you slide on all the relief work though.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

• tools and techniques

Just something to keep in mind for future builds. A control joint is a joint that is completely clean of anything but backer rod and chaulk. In our builds, if you are doing a thermal break this joint should roped with firerated backer and fire rated chaulk. Good chaulking practices need to followed. This means a joints sides need to clean. The purpose of the rod is to allow the chaulk to stretch sideways. A joint that has no backer is held on 3 sides and will eventually fail ,because it can not stretch. The depth of any joint shall be one half the width, so a 1/2'' joint width should be 1/4'' deep. A soda bottle with soapy water applied to your finger allows you to slick the joint. Always start at the bottom and work upwards. This may sound silly but the main thing is to apply the correct amount of chaulk, not to much and not to little. Try to go slow and seal the jt. as much as possible to eliminate excessive tooling. All chaulking in an oven is covered but you never know when it might show, just some pointers

Comment

• Re: tools and techniques

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                  Just something to keep in mind for future builds. A control joint is a joint that is completely clean of anything but backer rod and chaulk. In our builds, if you are doing a thermal break this joint should roped with firerated backer and fire rated chaulk. Good chaulking practices need to followed. This means a joints sides need to clean. The purpose of the rod is to allow the chaulk to stretch sideways. A joint that has no backer is held on 3 sides and will eventually fail ,because it can not stretch. The depth of any joint shall be one half the width, so a 1/2'' joint width should be 1/4'' deep. A soda bottle with soapy water applied to your finger allows you to slick the joint. Always start at the bottom and work upwards. This may sound silly but the main thing is to apply the correct amount of chaulk, not to much and not to little. Try to go slow and seal the jt. as much as possible to eliminate excessive tooling. All chaulking in an oven is covered but you never know when it might show, just some pointers
                  Not quite sure here, do you mean "chalk" or "caulk"?

Comment

KB,

I made a hyperlink to a dozen or so concrete counter threads done on the forum. It will give you some ideas. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...ers-18388.html
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Not quite sure here, do you mean "chalk" or "caulk"?
                      Misspelled a couple times the word caulk, as what come in a tube or sausage or even a pail, not chalk used to right with, oppps sorry

Comment

Misspelled a couple times the word caulk, as what come in a tube or sausage or even a pail, not chalk used to right with, oppps sorry
                        None of the caulks I've tried, and I've tried quite few, remain elastic at anything exceeding 350 C. They all go brittle or burn. Can you suggest a brand that works?

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Of course if you do take that long you better start cutting solid voussoirs for your arches now. The forum might let you slide on all the relief work though.
                          All chaulking in an oven is covered but you never know when it might show, just some pointers
                          Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                          KB,

I made a hyperlink to a dozen or so concrete counter threads done on the forum. It will give you some ideas. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...ers-18388.html
                          None of the caulks I've tried, and I've tried quite few, remain elastic at anything exceeding 350 C. They all go brittle or burn. Can you suggest a brand that works?
                          Thanks guys for all the good advice.

Solid voussoirs, good point. I was impatient and choose to not cut them after cutting all those fire brick. With my cut to fit approach I must have made well over 2000 cuts on the fire brick for the dome and inner and outer arches After finishing the decorative oven arch. I thought I was ok with the out come. I did not want to tear it down and move backwards, the teardown would have destroyed more than just the arch. Looking back I kind of wish I would have cut them. I still think it turned out nicely. Maybe not by a Roman stonecutter's perception . Thanks for you rsupport I value your opinion.

As for chaulk, caulk , wahtever We all make mistakes. Backer rod very good point I wish I would have learned this a little earlier In my build. Thanks for the insight. I hope all my caulking holds up as it is all covered up now. A good paint job is my only hope. I used this high temp caulk for the heat break. seems to be holding up well.Kaowool Caulk Details

As far as my counters go it will be a while. I need to finish the painting, close up the screen enclosure, Pressure wash and paint the whole patio area and replace all the furniture. Thanks Utah, for the info and all the links. makes it much easier to sift thru. This sight also has a lot of good info maybe you can include links like these on your countertop thread. Concrete Countertops - How to, Cost and More - The Concrete Network

Thanks all time to get to work.
                          Last edited by kbartman; 03-03-2014, 09:47 PM.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Painting of patio and oven almost complete.......After the countertops are placed, the wife and I will decide on the backsplash tile. I'm not sure how the colors for the counter will turn out so we will have to wait...... I have not put on the chimney extension yet, I was hoping I could get away from using it, I really like the lower profile. Although the screen is flame resistant I want more clearance.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Bartman,
                              Very nicely done. Your build certainly adds a focal point to your caged pool area. You still have lots of room for parties and guests.
                              jon
                              jon

Comment

Very nice, KB! We should start a 4-arch club!

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X