Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

that makes my back hurt just looking at it. Good job and glad you are past that. It is good to see the spring thaw has made it that far north. Once you get that stand built and the slab for the oven in , it gets a lot more fun.

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Well I had a productive day today. I had 90 60# bags of ready mix delivered and rented a 6.5 cf mixer. I wanted to make sure I had more than I needed for my slab. I figured I needed 38 cf of concrete and I used 72 bags so I was pretty close. I have to say it went much better than I thought it would. We got all 72 bags mixed in 2 hours. I guess it is good I expected worse so I was super happy and it almost seemed easy.

Randy

Comment

I also got started on cutting my floor bricks. I am very happy with how my hf saw works. Cuts like a dream, or maby that is the rigid segmented blade I am using. I am very happy how it is turning out so far.

Here is a question I have been pondering. For the first row of bricks. If I do a half soldier course. I know people have said not to have a joint at the same level as the floor, or the peal could get stuck in the joint. So I am thinking of doing a beveled half soldier course. Anyone see a reason not to do that?

Randy

Comment

Texman yes my back was sore after getting all the prep work done. Breaking up the concrete believe it or not was not the worst part. I am 10' from a silver maple and the roots were the biggest pain in the back. Th r re is nothing like chopping through a 8-10" tree trunk buried in dirt and dozens of smaller ones. It was about all the fun I could handle.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Making Good progress.

On the Soldier course I just cut bricks in half but I have seen where some have angled the cut face so that the first chain does not have a thick wedge of mortar under it. This could be what you mean by a beveled course. That is a good plan.

David

Comment

Thanks David Yep that is what I had in mind. Angled might have been a better term then beveled. I think I will start cutting a few like that tomorrow and post some pictures.

Randy

Comment

Well I did some more cutting today and I think I have done about as much pretty cutting as I should. I know that some people have said that super duty bricks are harder to cut but I did not notice any difference between super duty and my low duty as to how they cut. Maby it is the segmented blade I am useing. I don't know, but I am happy with that.

I am hoping to start dry stacking my base later this week and hopefully mid next week poor the oven support slab. I am thinking about doing a tub for the vermicreete would I need to form and poor this all as one mass or can I do the slab then a few days later come back and former up the tub?

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Remember to leave a small gap between the hearth bricks and the soldier course. A little more than 1/8" should do. You can shim it with cardboard.

David

Comment

That is what I am planning to do. I think I saw that on your build. It is hard to see in the picture but I did leave a gap but I am planning to put the cardboard in when I do the final product. Thanks for the advice and help.

Randy

Comment

Looks like you are moving right along. Are you planning a thermal break between the oven and the flue arch? Also what type of inner arch are you planning?
                      Chip

Comment

Hi chip yes I am planning on doing a thermal break between the arch and flu I am thinking about a 1/2" gap stuffed with ceramic rope. And I am planning to do a round arch witch I believe is what you did. I am hoping to be ready to poor the support slab next wed if all goes to plan. Now I just need to get my call ordered. Then I will have most of what I need other than the chimney.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                          I am thinking about a 1/2" gap stuffed with ceramic rope.
                          A very small gap is all that is required you may want to consider as little as 1/8 inch and do a slight taper or recess to the outer arch bricks to reduce heat transfer. Look at John's post "OctoForno" he did a great job on his arch and heat breaks.
                          Chip

Comment

Thanks chip I will look in to that idea. It does sound pretty easy to accomplish. I ordered my under floor insulation from Mcgills. Wear house today so now when that arrives I have everything I need to get started. I can't wait.

One question. I am building a 40" oven what size chimney do I need. I am thinking of going with the dura vent line or something similar is 6" big enough or should I really go with 8 " I am guessing I will need 4-6' of chimney depending how I do the enclosure to be safely above the roof. Thanks for all the help.

Randy

Comment

With a 40" oven you should have an 8" flue.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks Greenman that is kinda what I was thinking. I am just having a hard time finding the 8 " at the local big box stores.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X