X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Kemo, I believe that your heat within the dome floor will just be spread out more within the expanded brick areas.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Day 13 - cutting bricks and finishing out the oven floor.

I did the best I could with laying the floor, quite honestly, I should have pony'd up the cash for "A Grade" firebricks...at least for the floor anyway. I was having a monster of a time getting the bricks to level out and minimize gaps. Hopefully, Ill have enought firebrick left in the wet saw basin to fill them in later.

Also, I think I may have over did it on the floor. I went "wall to wall" with the firebrick. will this be a problem? here are the pix...

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Looks great Kemo. Your stand and vermiculite base look really nice.
    Thanks Ken, I appreciate that

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Kemo, how come you have a smaller foundation then the structural concrete block? Wouldn't you want a minimum of 2"? Your picture shows the blocks hanging over the foundation.
    ya...that was a newbie mistake on my part. the bricks hang over about 3/4 of an inch or so on each side. I wasnt real happy about it but structurally I think its ok. At least i HOPE its ok!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Looks great Kemo. Your stand and vermiculite base look really nice.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Kemo, how come you have a smaller foundation then the structural concrete block? Wouldn't you want a minimum of 2"? Your picture shows the blocks hanging over the foundation.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Day 12 - knocking out structural support beams and laying herringbone bricks in vermiculite...

I just laid the bricks that did not need to be cut. Tonight I'll fire up the blade.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

I hope to have the hearth in place by close of bidness on sunday )

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo
    Welcome to the board...im about to be laying the first brick here in less than a week!
    Don't you mean this weekend?

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

I just got off the phone with my Bro-in-law, and his saw is a 14" saw that can be wet or dry. From what he says, it has its own stand and is a real b!%h to move around. That sounds like the saw I need! Im trying to work out moving the thing. He lives north of Houston. Maybe I could meet him halfway...would be well worth the trip.

I plan on soaking bricks and using water on the blade to keep the dust down. Goggles and chemical gloves - safety first

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

It would of cost me more in gas than I would of saved I'm afraid to drive that far.

But that's awesome for you, always good to save some cash when you can.

Remember, that saw will kick up some serious dust. I used a blade like that on my compound miter saw, so I have first-hand experience. I did wet some of the bricks to keep dust levels low, but the saw cut poorly. But I made it all work out and you can too with that saw. Just be sure to get eye protection and a mask for the dust.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Are you serious?

It cost me $222.00 + tax for mine!

Damn small towns........

Did you pick up the HF saw for cutting?

And BTW the ying yang thing is cool!

Let the fun begin Steve!!!!!
    Dave,

Elgin-Butler Brick offers "b-grade" firebrick at a super slim price of 44 cents per brick! For me, it was worth the 30 mile trip. My truck was loaded! at 8 lbs a brick, that works out to 1600 lbs which is 30lbs under the payload max.

I havent bought the saw yet. My brother in law has a saw that I can use but im not sure if it will cut all the way thru a brick. Im trying to avoid having to flip the brick everytime. HF has a 14" saw for 60 bucks...not a bad deal if his is not big enough. Here is the LINK

so maybe this weekend I can start cutting half bricks and get the floor in place.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

not much work for a Tuesday evening, but I did remove the outter forms to reveal a nice place to start laying brick!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    made a trip out to Elgin about 30 miles from Austin. I bought 200 firebricks for 95 dollars. I had just enough in my wallet to cover the "2 Meat Plate" at Myers BBQ.
    Are you serious?

It cost me $222.00 + tax for mine!

Damn small towns........

Did you pick up the HF saw for cutting?

And BTW the ying yang thing is cool!

Let the fun begin Steve!!!!!
    Last edited by asudavew; 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM. Reason: ying yang

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

made a trip out to Elgin about 30 miles from Austin. I bought 200 firebricks for 95 dollars. I had just enough in my wallet to cover the "2 Meat Plate" at Myers BBQ.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X