39/42” Corner Building in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Carl,
    I have used some ceramic rope along the gap between the oven floor and landing floor. It also leaves a small gap that I am sure will just fill with ash.
    Ran out of play time again just a few cuts short of finishing the out arch
    Attached Files

Comment

Well finished the outer arch today and will think about either a flue or a chimney as suggested by Dave.
      Will start the curing fires on a couple of days.
      Next step, insulation
      Attached Files

Comment

That's looking real good!
        My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Ok, 3 inches or 75mm of insulation blanket and chicken wire fitted today, rough but I am happy with it.
          It was always my intention to mortar over this, maybe 2” or 50mm as that it all the room I have to the edge of the hearth.
          Does anyone have any issues or opinions on this?
          I did not have so much as one square inch of insulation blanket left over, pity as I wanted to have some insulation on the landing.
          So should I mortar the landing as well?
          At this stage I am very interested to hear some opinions, I never had a definite plan on a finished oven
          Attached Files

Comment

More photos
            Attached Files

Comment

looking pretty awesome ... i am waiting Brisbane lockdown to be over so that i can go and buy materials for my rendering.

there is one major fault with your last photo .... that is that you are drinking VB and not XXXX

Comment

Yes Hatzi, well spotted, I am a home brewer but was was unprepared for the Xmas holidays, I have visitors from Victoria here so am drinking there beer, still a win in my books

Comment

Typically stucco/render is about 1" thick (25mm+/- for you metric guys) scratch,brown,finish coats. The dome is already is good form or shape so no need for shaping. I did take my finish coat right to the edge of the hearth due to that's how it work out but either way works. I am not sure you gain anything by stuccoing the vent especially since it is not insulated, which makes the vent area more prone to expansion and contraction and could affect the stucco
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell,
                    Yes this is very heavily based on your build originally but has not been carried out with your level of attention.
                    I have now just noticed that you have poured your countertop before insulating the dome, well I’m not going to redo the insulation, so do I, do the countertop now and just cut away the bottom 25 or 50mm of insulation, whatever the depth of countertop is?
                    Or do I fit a 100mm high “Fi

Comment

Or do I fit a 100mm high “Foil” like on the Melbourne Firebrick YouTube clip and then do the countertop?
                      Or do I just keep going and render and then do the the countertop?
                      I am very annoyed that I did not see this before, maybe because there are just so many builds that you visit, you just end up with information overload in the end.
                      I suppose it is time to look at countertop threads now.
                      Cheers

Comment

Do what works for you. Just make sure the oven is isolated from either the hearth or countertop. If you notice, my counter top level was below the height of the CaSi insulation so the dome wall were isolated from the countertop, no heat sink. A foil barrier is not recommended, it may keep water out but can also keep water in. We see wet floor insulation is one of the most common factor with poor oven performance.
                        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-10-2021, 05:48 PM.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                          Thanks Russell,
                          Yes this is very heavily based on your build originally but has not been carried out with your level of attention.
                          I have now just noticed that you have poured your countertop before insulating the dome, well I’m not going to redo the insulation, so do I, do the countertop now and just cut away the bottom 25 or 50mm of insulation, whatever the depth of countertop is?
                          Or do I fit a 100mm high “Fi
                          I am pretty much at this stage as well.
                          I have already started the countertop, mine is going to be with granite bullnose tiles. I have left a 10mm gap between the tiles and the oven. Have also sloped the tiles away from the oven, so water will run away from the dome.
                          My blanket and my final layer of render ( i am thinking 50mm) will sit om top of the granite tiles, therefore covering the 10mm gap between the tiles and the dome base.

Comment

Well, fitted the flue, twice, still don’t know if I am happy.
                            Got some more insulation for the landing then but the bullet an started the render process which seemed ok but I suppose tomorrow will tell.
                            Was going to take down the gazebo but expecting storms tomorrow so maybe not.
                            I plan on three layers of mortar, the third with some bondcrete and colouring.
                            Am I the only one, or is it common to hesitate at each transition in the project?
                            Anyway this is where I am at.
                            Cheers
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                              Well, fitted the flue, twice, still don’t know if I am happy.
                              Got some more insulation for the landing then but the bullet an started the render process which seemed ok but I suppose tomorrow will tell.
                              Was going to take down the gazebo but expecting storms tomorrow so maybe not.
                              I plan on three layers of mortar, the third with some bondcrete and colouring.
                              Am I the only one, or is it common to hesitate at each transition in the project?
                              Anyway this is where I am at.
                              Cheers
                              Oven looks fantastic, seems like our builds are going at the same pace.

And i ABSOLTELY hesitate at each transition.

Did you use AR Fibre glass in your render? If so where did you source it in Brisbane?
                              Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi Hatzi,
                                Yeah spooky isn’t it.
                                I have only done the one initial render, and no I didn’t add any fibre’s, I didn’t know where to get them either and also didn’t really know if I needed them?
                                So many posts just said 4:1:1 Sand cement lime so that’s all that went in.
                                Next coat I will add them if I can find them and I think I will add some Bondcrete as well.
                                My dome has been closed and drying for about two weeks and as you know it has been hot and dry here, I have paid particular attention to not getting the build wet at all, so I do not expect to have much locked up moisture.I have installed a 2 inch galvanised nipple in the top of the render but will look to see if I can find something else instead, I just don’t like the look of it.
                                I will do another render coat in a day or two, had a few other commitments this weekend.
                                Still have not not decided on the countertop after reading your last post, I had not even considered a stone or granite top but now I am, yours look great.
                                That is the problem with this forum, there is just so much information and every time I look at it I find another build that holds me captivated and has the potential to make me change my mind, and then the hesitation begins again.
                                I will see if I can find some Ar tomorrow and let you know.
                                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X