Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTIONS:

Forno Friends!!

I'm wondering about finishes - I'm going to clad the front in stone and for cost reasons (it is an oven and a money pit now) I'm looking to stucco the sides and back (I think I said earlier I wouldn't - but a lad can change his mind!) - of the many questions I have - they are in no particular order and keen to learn from you:
    1. ROOF - what kind of plywood (thickness/rating?)
    2. ROOF FINISH: going to shingle for now - after plywood, what kind of felt? Any hacks to get just a bit instead of a whole roll?
    3. ROOF VENTILATION - are a couple of under-eve vents (4"x16") on either side of the roof plus a vent in top of back gable (how big?) enough for air flow?
    4. ENCLOSURE:
      1. It is cement board on top and cement block below - do I waterproof? Do I wrap? All 4 sides or just stucco'd sides? How do I attach wrap to these materials?
      2. metal lathing - what weight? need for all 4 sides or just stucco sides? stone veneer side too? how do I attach to cement board? cement block?
    JEEZ!
    That's a lot of questions - but I will throw it out there! Grateful for any insight from this amazing group!

Humbly (and wishing I had someone show me this stuff when I was growing up)
    Barry
    You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

• ENCLOSURE COMPLETE!

Hello Forno Friends!!

Well, I managed to complete the steel framing of the enclosure without tearing my arms and legs to shreds! (a few battle scars but was worth it!).
      Sore shoulders from getting drill into position for some screw points - but all worked out! (using an Impact Drill was the way to go!).

I think it is a bit overbuilt (esp/ front and back - but wanted to support the 12" overhang in front and 6" in back ... didn't want sag ... who does a this age!?)
      Also - the front facing supports were a bugger to put in - but provide support and flat face for screwing in the concrete board.

QUESTION: do I need angle pieces on either side of the oven opening (45 or so degrees)?
      Certainly would help with nailing the concrete board - but is such a component structural?

So - next steps will be: screwing in the concrete board, filling with loose vermiculite (after squaring corners to use less bags ... they are expensive here! wow!).
      Going to start curing process tomorrow!! EEESH! SLOW and STEADY is the pace I've learned from this forum ... but wow - a first fire - can't wait!.

Well - that's all for now!
      Hope everyone is well
      Barry
      Last edited by Baza; 07-14-2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Oh - and I found some terrific antique brick for the decorative arch today!
        50 cents each (they are mostly $5/brick in my research - so made the hour's drive to get them - they are gorgeous!!
        Wanted more to build ... something! Anything!

I think they will look nice with the stone facing - coming soon!
        Barry

Comment

• Originally posted by Baza View Post
          ENCLOSURE COMPLETE!

Hello Forno Friends!!

Well, I managed to complete the steel framing of the enclosure without tearing my arms and legs to shreds! (a few battle scars but was worth it!).
          Sore shoulders from getting drill into position for some screw points - but all worked out! (using an Impact Drill was the way to go!).

I think it is a bit overbuilt (esp/ front and back - but wanted to support the 12" overhang in front and 6" in back ... didn't want sag ... who does a this age!?)
          Also - the front facing supports were a bugger to put in - but provide support and flat face for screwing in the concrete board.

QUESTION: do I need angle pieces on either side of the oven opening (45 or so degrees)?
          Certainly would help with nailing the concrete board - but is such a component structural?

So - next steps will be: screwing in the concrete board, filling with loose vermiculite (after squaring corners to use less bags ... they are expensive here! wow!).
          Going to start curing process tomorrow!! EEESH! SLOW and STEADY is the pace I've learned from this forum ... but wow - a first fire - can't wait!.

Well - that's all for now!
          Hope everyone is well
          Barry
          Wow, that looks really professional Barry! Well done.
          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

• Barry, how was your father-in-law's 88th birthday? What did he think of the plaque?
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
              Barry, how was your father-in-law's 88th birthday? What did he think of the plaque?
              JRPizza - wow, how kind of you to remember and ask!!

He LOVED it - very moved and very excited to get the piece in place (he wants more made so he can take one to Italy!!

Have a look ... (I can't wait to make our first pizza together!)

Comment

• Valerio looks pretty good for 88! It's so cool how food and cooking can bring a family together.
                My build thread
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Nice steel work on enclosure, built like a tank.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Thanks my friends!! Very kind words and yes- it is the basics of fire, cooking and family - isn't it?

We've been doing it for thousands of years - and trading stories around such places - the Forno brings that back. I've learned so much from Valerio, his business (and the guts to do it in the 50's when Italians were not treated very well here back then), his technique and his life in Italy during the war. Just the building of it has brought this all back - can't wait for the cooking!

Utah - thank you for the feedback (very valued!) - I hope this structure is around for a long time so others can trade stories over flame and food!

Take care - off to finish a few last bits of metal, buttress the flue sides with a cinderblock on either side, enclose the bottom with concrete board and fill the enclosure!
                    Hopefully get around to a first fire tonight! Woo!

All the best
                    Barry

Comment

• Just seeing these now, sorry I missed your previous.
                      Agree, that is plenty stout. Plenty of structural rigidity as is, the sheathing will add more shear strength.
                      The found bricks will be a nice addition.
                      Well done!
                      Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

• mongota - thank you!!

I understand you have experience with Red Guard … I’m wondering if I can (should) use it on my concrete block and board as a membrane before applying a scratch coat for the stone and brick veneer?

oh - and do you (or anyone) think I NEED lathing to apply stone and brick veneer… or can I just put the scratch coat over the Red Guard then apply the two finishes?

interested in thoughts!

thanks
                        Barry

Comment

• Originally posted by Baza View Post
                          mongota - thank you!!

I understand you have experience with Red Guard … I’m wondering if I can (should) use it on my concrete block and board as a membrane before applying a scratch coat for the stone and brick veneer?

oh - and do you (or anyone) think I NEED lathing to apply stone and brick veneer… or can I just put the scratch coat over the Red Guard then apply the two finishes?

interested in thoughts!

thanks
                          Barry
                          Baza

I used RedGard on top of a portion of my hearth slab to isolate the board insulation from the slab. It's an area where I wanted no liquid or vapor transmission to occur.

For your housing surround, I'd recommend something like Hydroban Liquid. Hydroban Liquid is a waterproofing membrane that you can tile upon, and while it is impermeable to liquid water, it is permeable to water vapor. Meaning, it won't let liquid water IN to your enclosure during for example a heavy rain, but any moisture that happened to be absorbed in to your structure will be able to be driven OUT during a drying cycle.

There are others besides Hydroban Liquid. HL just happens to be readily available in my area. From Laticrete, a good company with a good reputation.

HL can be applied directly to your CBU base and your cement board enclosure. You can then apply the tile/stone directly to the HL membrane with a modified or highly modified thinset. For exterior locations with freeze/thaw, I'd use a highly modified thinset as it has a higher bond strength.
                          Last edited by mongota; 07-21-2021, 09:41 AM.
                          Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

• mongota - thank you for the insight - I couldn't find the product you referred to but my tiling friend put me in touch with a product by Flextile - WP900 - it is similar to what you explained and allows for breathing (as usual, I panicked about this and paused so called the tech department at the company and explained my project - they loved it - ha! - and said the product is good for the job and to breathe, phew!).

So, on it went. It has the consistency of the white glue we had in school! But dries green (see pic).
                            I embedded mesh fabric for strength (meant for cracks - but I just wrapped the whole thing).

Thanks for the advice Mongo - you are always supportive and clear - really appreciate it!
                            Barry

Comment

• Hello Forno Friends!

Been a while since being able to get on the Forum and update progress - moving along!! And wow - got my first FIRE GOING!!! WOOOOO!
                              My Birthday is this Saturday and that has been a goal to shoot for as folks are coming for pool and PIZZA! So, I have to get the oven cured (low and slow, that is the tempo!) and the rain has been confounding efforts - but I should be up to 700+ by Saturday!! Fingers crossed.

Honestly - got a little emotional as the newspaper burned - first flame in the oven, after all this! wow.

Some pics attached - going to get it up to 500 today!!
                              Very exciting!!
                              Barry

Comment

• Curing 100 degrees per day.
                                Leaving door off (because I don't have one yet, sigh, I can't weld!) ... and this is cooling the oven overnight and by next evening - still warm but cool enough to start again.

QUESTION: do I HAVE to let it cool completely before firing it up to temp again? If so - my Saturday target will likely not be met! ugh

Thanks
                                Barry

Comment

Working...
                                X