Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MnDude45
    replied
    Sixto - Thanks for the observations. I have installed some diagonal supports on both the front and back of the chimney vent box to provide support and to secure the cement board. Additionally, the arch extends a bit out to provide support for the cement board and I plan to adhere to the brick chimney vent. I haven't had a chance to take some pics after a very busy week. I appreciate the feedback

Leave a comment:

• Sixto
    replied
    Its looking awesome! As they say in Game of Thrones... "Winter is coming" (just not today, it's hot and muggy here)

I'm guessing you know this already, but just in case: (Warning: unsolicited suggestion follows) if there is room, and you want to curve a track around the arch (so you have something to anchor the sheathing edge next to the brick) you can take a standard track and snip the two legs every 3 inches or so, so all you really have holding it together is the long back side, then you can fit it to almost any curve and even add a stud part-way along the curve by screwing the stud to a flange segment...you can adhere the curved back of the track to the bricks with construction adhesive while you weigh it down to hold the shape You might want to trim the insulation back a bit between the base of the arch and the chimney bricks if you choose this whole approach.
    Last edited by Sixto; 09-07-2022, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    I’m pushing to get the enclosure framed and it’s going much slower than anticipated. In my case, there is a significant learning curve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	66A0E267-49AC-4184-80F0-51ED91BBF22E.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	449284

Name:	89B9E5F8-5E75-4E5B-AE21-8E8CAEAE3927.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	449286 Click image for larger version

Name:	4DDD5359-FD3A-4FE9-ABCE-D473D47E371B.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	449283 Click image for larger version

Name:	1400F828-B07E-4911-BE4A-337A56A7D6B7.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	449285
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Slowhand
    replied
    Originally posted by MnDude45 View Post
    Mr. Slowhand - I put on 3 full 1” layer and almost another 1” over most of the dome
    Thanks, just finished with the blanket, did the same!

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Mr. Slowhand - I put on 3 full 1” layer and almost another 1” over most of the dome

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Slowhand
    replied
    The oven is coming great. Just for my comparison, how thick is you blanket, when you say you do 3 or 4 layers, at what thickness do you come to ultimately.

Leave a comment:

• Sixto
    replied
    Looks great! - I can almost smell the pizza!

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Another step closer. I finished the 3rd insulation layer and added almost another full layer on the top. Click image for larger version

Name:	74404889-0519-4D57-B43C-FCBCE5CDD51B.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	449029

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by MnDude45 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m going with an enclosure so not planning any render coat.
    Sorry, my apologies. That eliminates a lot of drying, sealing and venting problems.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m going with an enclosure so not planning any render coat.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Perhaps instead of getting more blanket, a layer of 10:1 vermicrete (which has around the same insulation value as the blanket) would be an alternative option. You will go through a ton of render trying to restore a nice form and the blanket is not a firm substrate to render against.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    I just laid the blanket over the dome and propped them on with scrap 2x4’s. It worked well until I determined I was going to run short on blanket. I had enough for 2.6672 of the 3in to cover the entire dome. Ugh! I’ll have to run tomorrow and get another roll.

Name:	A9C14DCC-45FC-4B21-A055-53A816D4F103.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	449003

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied
    Just put the layers of batting over the dome...no need to use adhesives of any kind. Since you should go through the curing process before applying stucco over the blanket, you can lean some bricks around the perimeter & couple on top to hold it in place if you choose not to lay chicken wire or metal lath over it. Just remember to wear a good mask, gloves, & goggles to protect your eyes...the ceramic fibers can be very irritating!

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Quick question…when applying the ceramic blanket to the dome, did anyone use an a hi temp adhesive or just lay it on and hope there’s not a strong wind? When I’m done, I’ll use a thin galvanized wire to hold it in place. It’s really just for the time putting all three layers down.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Today i was able to trim the excess floor and insulation in order to prep for dome insulation. Also, I installed the chimney anchor plate. I decided to use the 1/4 x 4” Tapcon anchor screws. I bought a new hammer drill from all of our favorite store (Harbor Freight) and installation went well. On to dome insulation and curing fires soon. So much excitement and terror at the same time as it is getting very real. Again, is it the light at the end of the tunnel or the train??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X