Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Once you have the dry fit complete, be sure to mark the centerline of the mortar joint on the plywood form. This will help you from getting "mortar joint" creep as you lay you arch.

Leave a comment:

• Sixto
    replied
    Looks really good! How much of a reveal are you getting between the dome arch opening and the gallery arch? Is that the full depth of the gallery (including flue?) or are you doing another arch in front? These are all questions I'm considering for my build, I'm about one month behind you...

thanks! Sixto.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied
    Lookin' good!!

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    I had a change of plans today so I was able to work on the outer arch bricks. I have to work on spacing but a good start.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkJerling View Post

That's just sad Randy! Their loss!
    I know right. I was told by them that the oven was a big reason they wanted the house. Oh well their loss. I gave them all the resources to learn how to use it and offered to stop back and teach them how it works. I even have a friend who is a executive chef who i said i would bring with.

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Chris, that may not be perfect, but it looks fantastic to me. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Thanks, Randy. I appreciate the feedback.

Today I got the mortar that caked under my platform scrapped off, cleaned and the gaps filled on the top of the dome. It’s definitely not perfect but at this point I don’t think it matters. Also, I got the outer arch form completed while it rained.

More steady progress but won’t be able to progress much again until next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    It comes down to what you can afford. It is a law of diminishing returns. It definitely helps retain heat but if it will break your budget then don't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    You bring up a question that I have been pondering. I plan to build an enclosure around the dome with >=3in of fiber blanket insulation. Is it necessary to fill the remaining space around the insulated dome with vermiculite/perlite? It seems that it would be redundant insulation.

Thoughts??

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by MnDude45 View Post
    Yes! A monumental day with the completion of the dome. A lot more work to do with the outer arch, chimney and enclosure but I’m going to celebrate an important milestone.
    I did the date with my kids initials above...Maybe someday in the future when we are all gone some one will redo the enclosure and insulation and see it...But good luck will the snow storm of perlite that they will get when they open the enclosure. It's almost ashame I won't be ae to see it. LOL

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    Unfortunately i don't think that the people who bought my old house have ever used the oven.
    That's just sad Randy! Their loss!

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I like how you put your name and date on the dome. I wish I had thought about that.

Unfortunately i don't think that the people who bought my old house have ever used the oven. I had offered to teach them exactly how to use it and bring my chef friend to cook some awesome food.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Slowhand
    replied
    Excellent build, congratulations!!

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied
    Congrats!!!

Leave a comment:

• MnDude45
    replied
    Yes! A monumental day with the completion of the dome. A lot more work to do with the outer arch, chimney and enclosure but I’m going to celebrate an important milestone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X