• Re: new build in werribee

Mine was 0.065", so 1.6mm thick, if that helps
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi Dennis

Thx, yeah you and Allan would be right. 1.6mm is what I will use. I also am guessing neither you or Russell have experienced warping, as neither of you have reported this happening.

Got my hearth tiles down today, photos below.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-02-2013, 02:22 AM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hi guys, just been reading this thread. I live not too far away in Bacchus Marsh. I completed my 42" oven a year or so ago. I'm happy to say that after months of preparation and hard work it's all working beautifully and was well worth it. I have kept all the templates I used for my oven including the arch template. I have my oven photos listed including the finished product. Feel free to ask any questions or come down for a visit and take a look.
        Cheers, Adrian

Comment

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp......Needed Please

I also decided to drop the oven height a little and also make a Dome Template on a turntable [previous discussion in this thread with Russell Utahbeehiver], it will be interchangeable with the IT [I think] once I work out how to do this.</p>

Any ideas would be appreciated. In the photos above I included a not quite finished dome template.I would appreciated some feedback from the experts on arch transition now I have flattened the dome. As the template doesn't seem to hook into the dome all that well. Arch is 13" high which I know doesn't match the 62% dome height to arch ratio.

I have read/re read Russell utahbeehiver, Doug karangi dude, and especially Dennis (deejayoh) threads and am am a little my arch template does not seem when swung around to the arch to match the height of arch and I failing to understand. Thinking I am not getting this. So I haven't cut one end off the template yet.

I can interchange between the template and IT now as I have worked out how.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArchTop.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	293701
            Heeeeeeeeeeeelp......Needed Please

I also decided to drop the oven height a little and also make a Dome Template on a turntable [previous discussion in this thread with Russell Utahbeehiver], it will be interchangeable with the IT [I think] once I work out how to do this.</p>

Any ideas would be appreciated. In the photos above I included a not quite finished dome template.I would appreciated some feedback from the experts on arch transition now I have flattened the dome. As the template doesn't seem to hook into the dome all that well. Arch is 13" high which I know doesn't match the 62% dome height to arch ratio.

I have read/re read Russell utahbeehiver, Doug karangi dude, and especially Dennis (deejayoh) threads and am am a little my arch template does not seem when swung around to the arch to match the height of arch and I failing to understand. Thinking I am not getting this. So I haven't cut one end off the template yet.

I can interchange between the template and IT now as I have worked out how.
            The brick you have resting in place in the third picture is the easiest one to work out what you need to do. I think Gianni calls it TDC ? Top Dead Centre or something like that in Deejayoh?s thread. Once you have this sorted you should be able to work out what needs to happen to the rest of the arch.

This is what you need to do to referring to the attached diagram:

1 Green arrow. Slide the brick back so that the front edge is aligned with the front of your arch form. You may need to add some support to the back of the form so the brick will balance.

2 Yellow arc. Trace where the dome form meets the brick

3 Red line. Draw a line that touches the arc. This is where you need to cut the brick. This cut becomes the inside wall of your dome.

4 Pink line. Draw a line at right angles to the red line at such a point where the pink line is half a brick in length (115mm / 4.5?). Cut on this line to give you the surface on which you will lay the course above the arch. That?s why it needs to be half a brick in length.

Basically you are making a brick that is both arch and part of your dome in one. The 2 important things are the red line is the inner wall of the dome and the pink line is the surface to lay the next course on.
            Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

So in summary your arch looks too far forward. Eg. It needs to come back into the dome where the top the top arch bricks need to be inside so they intersect with that part of dome.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Thanks Damon and Sharkey, that has helped.

Sharkey that has been more than helpful and cleared some of my muddled thoughts. Except the following.

Damon when you say the arch is to far forward, are you talking about
                the Arch form?
                because as it is placed in the picture, it is in between the Hearth Brick either side.

So is it the form i'm moving or the actual brick Sharkey refers or both. I'm thinking it is both Is this correct. The 1st course bricks . i cut will be identical to that i cut in the hearth at either side of the template.

I know i'm sounding a little thick here but it is doing my head in.
                Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
                [ATTACH]34679[/ATTACH]

1 Green arrow. Slide the brick back so that the front edge is aligned with the front of your arch form. You may need to add some support to the back of the form so the brick will balance.

Should i remake my form so it is narrower than it is currently? This will move that TDC brick back further into the dome as i think it will need to go further back to meet the Dome template. And if i cut one side of the dome template to the height of the arch will this assist. Currentyl the arch is 13" high i noticed the DJO was working with i think 11.25" height to maintian that 62%. How important is this as i did want a bit more height?
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin

If you push the TDC brick back so that the front of it is flush with the arch form does the dome form reach the brick at all? It doesn't need to be anywhere near as much as I drew it in my dodgey diagram. It only just has to reach it.

If it doesn't reach at all then you will have to change something.

You could just push the arch form back a little bit and cut the same amount off the entrance depth. At the sides of the arch you would have to use norrower bricks so they still align with the dome.

Or there are other options.

Raise the height of the dome

Lower the arch

Teardrop shape
                  Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

The two ended form is interesting. You really only need one. Idea: cut one end off so it is the same length as the center oven-->inside of your arch. That way, you can spin the full end around as an IT, and the other end when you get to your arch.

As for how far forward your arch is - math is gonna be your friend here. You know the radius of your oven. You know the width of your door/arch. The apothem is the distance between the center of your oven and the arch, and it is pretty easy to calculate with any one of dozens of arc calculators on the web. It can only be in one length.

Once you have that, then you can use your form to figure out the angle to cut away the underside of the brick.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hang in there Colin....arch did my head in last week but I'm now there......your templates are more "elaborate" than mine were so I can't add to Sharkey and deejayoh.

Top Dead Centre.....Touches Dome Circumference
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Thanks guys your help is oh so invaluable and very needed.

Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
                        Colin

If you push the TDC brick back so that the front of it is flush with the arch form does the dome form reach the brick at all?
                        Sharkey no it doesn't. BTW your drawing helped and wasn't dodgey at all.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                        The two ended form is interesting. You really only need one. Idea: cut one end off so it is the same length as the center oven-->inside of your arch. That way, you can spin the full end around as an IT, and the other end when you get to your arch.
                        DJO I will read up on apothem. And the above is exactly what I was going to do. I can also interchange that template with the IT I have. The two sides was more about placing a brick on either side then working off them. With one side cut that will only work as I get higher up the dome.

FYI diam of base = 1010mm, making radius 505mm, arch width is 515mm [measured at bottom] and arch height is currently 330mm, but this is obviously to high and over 62% so will need adjusting as sharkey pointed out.

I am assuming that once I work out the apothem that I measure that from the centre of the dome template and cut [one end], at 90 deg at that point, position the arch against this.

You guys are amazing with your expertise and insights I still don't get it but am understanding it more hopefully by the weekend I will have it worked out. thanks again......... Now to work out that apothem, shit it was 35 years ago since I did any real math.
                        Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-04-2013, 04:26 AM.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday Colin
                          I have been reading your post with interest your determined to master this your planning is spot on and you mentors impeccable.
                          But the devil sometimes is in the detail. You are a visual person I'd recon and perhaps it's time to get a bit visual. Get yourself a big hunk of paper or raid a fridge box from the local electrical store. Drawn the dome full size full thickness brick. Draw a section of your oven split down the middle back to entrance. Fit the entrance hieght you need into the curve of the dome and you'll see where the dome and the entrance intersect.
                          Then get the drawings out of the way go back to the iIT and dome calculator and
                          Make it happen ....
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thx Dave for that encouragement boy was that needed..

this has been doing my head in since the weekend especially after I made that dome template to follow the contour i'm looking for. You are spot on also about me being visual.

What you have suggested I have been doing with my son tonight- as you must have been writing your post - Using the dome template you see in the previous picture and a cardboard profile version of my arch template cut in half @ TDC, so I can run it back and forth until the two match.

I have worked out that APOTHEM DJO was referring to, at 434mm [thx Dennis I hope this is right]. Did this using some pictures of what I was trying to calculate and with DJO explanation and a little Pythagoras.

I now just need some daylight to test it out put it in practice and get that alignment right.

Thanks again Dave, Sharkey, Dennis and Damon
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-04-2013, 04:27 AM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                              Thx Dave for that encouragement boy was that needed..

this has been doing my head in since the weekend especially after I made that dome template to follow the contour i'm looking for. You are spot on also about me being visual.

What you have suggested I have been doing with my son tonight- as you must have been writing your post - Using the dome template you see in the previous picture and a cardboard profile version of my arch template cut in half @ TDC, so I can run it back and forth until the two match.

I have worked out that APOTHEM DJO was referring to, at 434mm [thx Dennis I hope this is right]. Did this using some pictures of what I was trying to calculate and with DJO explanation and a little Pythagoras.

Thanks guys/mentors this is so much appreciated, I now just need some daylight to test it out put it in practice and get that alignment righ

Thanks again Dave, Sharkey, Dennis and Damon
                              Gudday
                              Now you have Pythagoras as a mentor as well!! I suppose those old Greeks could build ovens
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi dave lol think i'm getting it, daylight will reveal all.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X