Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    After working night shift the last few days, I did some inspections on the courses that already lay. I have been trying to keep the mortar moist as possible with spray bottle and water hose. The suppliers ask me if I understand the Demon mix was for tight joints under 1\4". Understood but thought I might get away with the joints between the courses being a little larger. I?m now not so sure.

Attached are some pics of the curing I think I will use the bevel scraps between the following courses any suggestions is appreciated.

The sides of the oven that get morning and afternoon sun shows signs of premature curing

Ps. The dreded Lovebug season has began.
    Looks like you might be past this part - but I put a wet towel over the oven when I took my break for the day to keep everything moist. if you're still having issues keeping moisture in - you can put a damp towel and then cover with plastic or a tarp.

Comment

One more course. Slow going today modified arch support and laid one course...................Slowly but surely.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Slow but nice brick work and good job keeping the joints staggered.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Fifth course up and coming. Better control of the mortar joints. I never knew 1 or 2 degrees would make such a big difference. I will pay more attention from here on out.
          Put the lady to bed for curing till I have more time to continue. I will be pondering thermal breaks and the outer arch. Should I set the arch directly on the concrete hearth or on the floor insulation?
          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I will be pondering thermal breaks and the outer arch. Should I set the arch directly on the concrete hearth or on the floor insulation?
            If you are having a thermal break then you can set it right on the concrete, if no thermal break the you will need the insulation.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
              Looks like you might be past this part - but I put a wet towel over the oven when I took my break for the day to keep everything moist. if you're still having issues keeping moisture in - you can put a damp towel and then cover with plastic or a tarp.
              Thanks,
              Cheesesteak damp wet towel is working good to retain moisture.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              If you are having a thermal break then you can set it right on the concrete, if no thermal break the you will need the insulation.
              Thanks,
              Brickie I will be doing a thermal break not sure what type yet. I'm thinking Insulation in the oven landing and thermal break. My thoughts are of grilling by raking hot coals into the landing under the flue would be the best place to grill and not bake the food by grilling inside the oven.

Thanks all, for all the great comments and suggestions.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Slow but nice brick work and good job keeping the joints staggered.
              Originally posted by K79 View Post
              looking good ...
              Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              Keystones are for looks more than anything else.
              Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
              That may change once you get mortar in there.
              Keep posting,

KB
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Made a little progress yesterday.......My idea of tying inner arch to the dome and staggering joints did'nt work as well is planned. The further up proved next to impossible.
                K79,

My concern on my build and yours as well as other builds is the joint between the inner arch and dome bricks. The one solid joint seems like a single point of failure. Here are my 2 cents and thoughts. Attached is a picture of the inner arch to dome transition of my build. I hope I did the right thing. I staggered the joint after the first straight up soldier courses. I?m thinking I should have started sooner but it is as it is. The staggering of the joints will become more difficult as the arc of the dome grows with the coming courses. Although the inner arch will begin to support the dome wall and become less of a vertical joint.

As in most block construction the corners joints are staggered and the walls do not just butt up against one another. I would like to know what you and others thoughts are on this. I hope I made a good decision.
                Attached is the outcome,I settled for tighter joints verses staggering
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

You don't need to stagger them anyway. The dome is going to move and that line will act as an expansion joint, which will protect your arch from movement better than if you tied into the dome.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    You don't need to stagger them anyway. The dome is going to move and that line will act as an expansion joint, which will protect your arch from movement better than if you tied into the dome.
                    Are you saying at this point, I should take a hammer to it? I sure would hate to do that, But if a expansion joint is needed, it needed.
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

No, im saying that staggering the joints wasn't necessary
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

Looking good !
                        Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Finalized 6th course today......???.. I now have more respect to those whom have trodden before??? My hat is off to them??.. It not as easy as it looks ??????.. The upper courses I?m sure will prove even more difficult.
                          Having to work on both side of the wall is giving me a work out. My laziness has cost me a few mistake by not walking all the way around to have a look.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

looking great, KB! You have a very nice transition going there! Looks to me like you have most of the hard stuff behind you

Neil

Comment

Looks great to me. I'm getting stuck trying to set jig for first course with a vertical tilt. About to post about this on my thread. Appreciate any help. Bruce
                              Link to my build here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey Kbartman it doesn't appear that you have needed any sort of form yet for laying your rings. What are you plans when you approach the top of your dome?
                                Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Working...
                                X