Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Well are you still bailing out the oven or did it stay dry? Curious minds want to know. Bruce
    Well my blue tarps were old and worn so the insulation got a pretty good soaking...............I replaced the tarps with new ones, this should keep any more water out………… The rainy season has begun in central Florida …………. So I’m Trying to dry out between the daily afternoon rain showers ……….. I was hoping to be further along at the time…………Once the chimney goes up, keeping the water out the enclosure will be quite a challenge before its completion.

Family has been in town so no progress lately......hoping to get something accomplished this weekend.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      Well my blue tarps were old and worn so the insulation got a pretty good soaking...............I replaced the tarps with new ones, this should keep any more water out…………
      Sorry to hear about the leaks. It's probably a good idea to keep an old tarp to have under the new one. It will protect the new one from snags and tears as well as provide extra protection from rain. I know what you mean by wanting to be further along, in addition to the afternoon rains it going to be really hot soon. Still, it seems like your build is zooming along compared to mine. Bruce
      Last edited by Bec1208; 06-10-2013, 07:20 AM. Reason: Fixed quote box
      Link to my build here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

It's been 1 week since the tropical storm soaking.........Still wet as day 1........ bummer........Decided to do some pre curing with 500w lights below hearth, figuring that it may help the dry out????? Had to retire the IT for the exercise ball???..Whom ever thought of this was a genius???I thought the radius was going to be a problem seems to be working well with modeling clay???.11th course complete?..
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

so close!!

Comment

12th course complete.........The exercise ball is the ticket for dry fit and mortaring the courses......... Works well, over inflate set and mortar brick then deflate and make adjustments as you concentrically tap inward……looking for suggestions on how to complete dome closure.
            Last edited by kbartman; 06-15-2013, 03:31 AM.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Almost there, very nice brick work, tight cuts and seam staggers.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                12th course complete.........The exercise ball is the ticket for dry fit and mortaring the courses......... Works well, over inflate set and mortar brick then deflate and make adjustments as you concentrically tap inward??looking for suggestions on how to complete dome closure.
                My grappling hook idea worked well but to be honest the heat stop I used was so sticky that I never needed any forms at all. You might be surprised if you try the same.
                Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Thanks Utah and K79..... .........Dry fitted what I think is the last course today #13 before the afternoon rains began...............

K79, I liked the grappling hook idea. I was pulling my hair out using only the clay for dry fit of the 11th course. I was thinking where my treble hooks were and what type of line I was going to use, when I spotted the wife’s exercise ball....... So I deflated it and inserted. Thought the radius was going to be an issue, turns out to be a plus the ball can be inflated and deflate once all the course is fitted to check final alignment……

Working without the IT for tilt caused the dome to be slightly higher than planned. At one point I thought my dome was going to have a “Cone Head” like from the old episodes of "Saturday Night Live"…

I guess I got a little aggressive with the dry out lights below the hearth it reached near 200 degrees overnight. The hearth developed a hairline crack started on the last course of block and disappears beneath the oven……..Bummer!!!!!

Sorry I should have explained myself better on the suggestions. It’s a little clearer now on how to close the dome……….I was thinking of going back to a full size ? brick again. I’m glad I chose to stick with 1/3 size bricks, worked well. So to clarify myself, how should I fit the plug one, two, three pieces????

Ps. Should heard the wife scream when she saw her deflated ball left for dead on the pool deck cover in mortar........LOL
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

KB, you will get cracks no matter what you do - peace out and don't worry about them - your oven build is close to perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                      KB, you will get cracks no matter what you do - peace out and don't worry about them - your oven build is close to perfect!
                      Thanks Boe. I'm calling it my first controlled expansion joint. It lines up directly with the seam in the hardie board I used as a permanent form board.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

The last course is complete …………yippy. It far from perfect a few chipped bricks from my over aggressive hammering and a few misalignments, other than that I’m happy.

Decided to make peace with my WFO widowed wife, I told her to take a look inside, she’s been on cloud 9 all day……. I’m sure I’m not the first……….. But this is pay back for my buddies that make me look bad all year long when their wives get flowers and mine doesn’t………. Who’s the poor sap sucker now?
                        Last edited by kbartman; 06-16-2013, 01:37 PM.
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Add an engraved heart to the plug and your will be golden with Julie...............She will be peeking inside the dome everytime it clears. Nice work
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looks great. What did you use to render the upper part of the dome?
                            Link to my build here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Add an engraved heart to the plug and your will be golden with Julie...............She will be peeking inside the dome everytime it clears. Nice work
                              Unless, of course, her name isn't Julie

Comment

Thanks guys hope to plug her soon............The oven....Bruce just mortar on upper dome
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                                X