X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    GAC,
    Ok guys, looks like I will put down some felt under the lath. I'm not sure how to deal with the over lap onto the concrete block. I presume I can end the felt there.
    You're doing an igloo? Yeah, you can end the felt there, see below for a suggestion...
    I'm also concerned with the penetration of the felt paper for attaching the wire lath. Does this not compromise the vapor barrier?
    Don't worry about it.
    Stonecutter,
    I noticed the felt beneath your chimney stucco, I presume this with over lap the flashing around your chimney, is this correct?
    It's not felt, it's ice and water shield...just a temporary layer until I do the permanent lead flashing. You can flash with ice and water where your felt terminates. Overlap the I/W 3" with the felt.
    I be thinking and considering the moisture that may get trapped inside my chimney enclosure and was considering a vent on top underneath the chimney pot/extension. I will also have a ridge vent on the dome house enclosure, which is at a lower elevation. I did not see any vents on yours. What are your thoughts on moisture built up in the chimney enclousure?
    Vents let humidity in too, especially down here in the south. I can almost guarantee nobody is building an air tight enclosure. My opinion..... Do your best at drying in the building and forget the vents. The enclosure will breath, and that is a good thing.

My chimney is framed with wood, layered inside and out with durock. There is 3" clearance all the way around the clay flue, the base is covered with mineral wool, then the chase is filled with loose perlite. All the seams are taped with fiberglass mesh and mudded with thinset. All three stucco layers contain Dry-Block admix, and water was beading off when I tested it. Then the paint to finish it off. When I opened up the crown to set my granite cap supports, it had rain hard a few days before...it was dry as a bone.

I only mention this because, if you attend to the chimney the way you did with the brick cutting, then you are over thinking the moisture possibilities.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      Vents let humidity in too, especially down here in the south. I can almost guarantee nobody is building an air tight enclosure. My opinion..... Do your best at drying in the building and forget the vents. The enclosure will breath, and that is a good thing.
      Oven door openings and chimneys also allow humidity in. The beauty of having a vent is that it provides a release from steam pressure build up in the insulation layer, just like a saucepan lid that has a small vent. This ofcourse is far more important for an igloo style oven. If you have a doghouse style the steam will find its way out somehow, however any oven with a vent will also dry out faster than one without.
      Last edited by david s; 10-03-2013, 05:50 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Oven door openings and chimneys also allow humidity in. The beauty of having a vent is that it provides a release from steam pressure build up in the insulation layer, just like a saucepan lid that has a small vent. This ofcourse is far more important for an igloo style oven. If you have a doghouse style the steam will find its way out somehow, however any oven with a vent will also dry out faster than one without.
        I guess...but I doubt that the masonry in any oven will absorb enough moisture through the chimney or door opening ( most people have doors too) to create steam. The way I do see that happening is if any of the finishes are compromised in way that allows excessive moisture or rainwater to enter the masonry. And if that is happening, a vent might not be enough to stop the damage.

I would caulk up a vent as a precautionary method at best. Also assuming the oven had the moisture driven out before it was dried in.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

We live in the tropics and during the wet season the humidity is so high that mould on clothing in wardrobes is sometimes a problem. Porous refractory gets pretty wet even without any direct rain and the oven interior is also sometimes mouldy. Both the chimney cap and door are much bigger in area than a vent, so would expect more uptake of moisture through them than a small covered vent. The chimney cap can allow some moisture through and after heavy downpours with some sideways rain the tell tale sign of some soot on the floor bricks under the flue is evidence. Likewise driving rain around the entry will find some water ingress. The vent does a good job of removing the water and I've done it at least once every wet season for the past four years without creating any oven damage, so for us a vent is mandatory.Likewise a hole in the supporting slab to communicate with the underfloor insulation.

Sorry, should have added that our oven is an igloo style and exposed to the weather.
          Last edited by david s; 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

We live in the tropics and during the wet season the humidity is so high that mould on clothing in wardrobes is sometimes a problem. Porous refractory gets pretty wet even without any direct rain and the oven interior is also sometimes mouldy. Both the chimney cap and door are much bigger in area than a vent, so would expect more uptake of moisture through them than a small covered vent. The chimney cap can allow some moisture through and after heavy downpours with some sideways rain the tell tale sign of some soot on the floor bricks under the flue is evidence. Likewise driving rain around the entry will find some water ingress. The vent does a good job of removing the water and I've done it at least once every wet season for the past four years without creating any oven damage, so for us a vent is mandatory.Likewise a hole in the supporting slab to communicate with the underfloor insulation.
            That is pretty extreme.

Let the builder use discretion....or take preventative measures.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

He is the builder. No way would I build an igloo under those conditions. A house or even better a shed would be the way to go.

Comment

Gudday
                Wet seasons is summer ,hot wet and humid. But autumn, winter and spring are dry and cool. Why would you want an enclosed or roof oven for the majority of the year . You really want to be out in the open air so that's why I fight the damp instead of a fully enclosed oven or roof.
                I'm constantly amazed how the cold wheather in parts of the world close down all outdoor activity. The summer her is too hot in the noonday sun buts the nights are glorious
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

And here in Melbourne any day of the week we can have all 4 sessions.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    And here in Melbourne any day of the week we can have all 4 sessions.
                    4 sessions in one day is getting a bit greedy isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                      He is the builder. No way would I build an igloo under those conditions. A house or even better a shed would be the way to go.
                      I know he is the builder, that is a third person expression.

If I'm not mistaken, or something has changed, he plans on building a shed roof over the oven...so the dome won't be completely exposed to the elements.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

One season at a time is fine for me, Bundaberg is less manic than Melbourne and we survive well without your rubbish weather. The occasional flood breaks the monotony. Being able to use the WFO all year is a very pleasant part of living in the sub tropics.
                        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

those once in 100year floods are nothing to worry about

Comment

The joys of living on the high bank.
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Sorry, should have added that our oven is an igloo style and exposed to the weather.
                              I should also have mentioned that nearly all the rain for the year falls in the three months of the wet season (Jan Feb Mar). Apart from two showers about 2 mm each, we have not had any rain since April, so our conditions are ideal for most of the year for an oven exposed to the elements. Beautiful sunny days with temps typically between 20-30 C. 320 sunny days/ year with an av. 8.5 hrs sun/ day. In the crappy weather we now go skiing for two weeks in Japan, only a 7 hr flight north with one hour time difference and gorgeous dry powder.Tough life!
                              Last edited by david s; 10-06-2013, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Oks Guys,
                                As tropical Storm Karen fizzled out in the Gulf Of Mexico, I was able to finish the outer decorative arch and continue on the curing process. I was shooting for the old rugged antique look, nothing fancy. I thought tapering the bricks would take away from that. I hope it will blend nicely with the existing stucco walls.

I'm Glad I took the time to incorporate the heat break like those whom have trodden before. The oven was still 575F this morning with minimal insulation and only a cement board door. With the dome nearing 800 F last night, the decorative arch was only slightly above ambient. I give credit to all those on this forum, Thanks
                                Last edited by kbartman; 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM.
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Working...
                                X