39/42” Corner Building in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys,
    My intent was to use my laser level and shoot a line around the inside of the dome, lined up to the top of the inside face and make sure all my bricks line up with that.

Do you think that will prevent the Droop?
    Cheers

Comment

Sounds like a great way of keeping your courses level.
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
        Thanks guys,
        My intent was to use my laser level and shoot a line around the inside of the dome, lined up to the top of the inside face and make sure all my bricks line up with that.

Do you think that will prevent the Droop?
        Cheers
        It certainly should. With the laser to set brick elevation and the IT to set the brick with the proper orientation, yes, it should turn out splendidly.
        Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Short day so thought I would cut the 4th course bricks, got to love a wet saw, The inverted V is prominent now, and I keep struggling with working out how to mark the angles to cut?
          I set up two bricks and I sed my level to give me a vertical line then cut to that, rotate and flip the brick and cut again, seems to work out fine, see photos for results. What do you think?
          While I was at it I checked the level of the 3rd course, I am happy with that as well, I will check each course as I go up from here.
          cheers
          Attached Files

Comment

That is the high tech version of eliminating the inverted V. Builders out there, notice how "only" the very top and very front of the brick requires material removal to correct inverted v's
            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-24-2020, 06:21 PM.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

A delayed post here as have had lots of interruptions.
              decided to trim up the arch bricks and finish that off.
              I had to change the Top brick and although the arch is a bit rough I figure it won’t really be seen, some of the gaps are a bit big.
              Mortared in course 5 but got lost again at the arch to dome transition. Left it for a few days and then final bit the bullet and cut it by eye, was happy with that.
              As usual was racing daylight by the time I finished but thought I would put the level on to check everything. I was sure it would all be ok but no, I could see the “Droop”. Luckily I had time to reset and check again.
              I think I will set the laser for each course from here on.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                A delayed post here as have had lots of interruptions.
                decided to trim up the arch bricks and finish that off.
                I had to change the Top brick and although the arch is a bit rough I figure it won’t really be seen, some of the gaps are a bit big.
                Mortared in course 5 but got lost again at the arch to dome transition. Left it for a few days and then final bit the bullet and cut it by eye, was happy with that.
                As usual was racing daylight by the time I finished but thought I would put the level on to check everything. I was sure it would all be ok but no, I could see the “Droop”. Luckily I had time to reset and check again.
                I think I will set the laser for each course from here on.
                That looks fantastic! I have no idea why I did not think of using a laser. (Considering I own one!)
                My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

G’day
                  bloody neat work for an angle grinder. Well done.
                  Regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi All,
                    Well I obviously not paying enough attention on the last course and let my arch intersecting brick run out.
                    I did recognise I was getting droop using the laser and I corrected for height but didn’t correct to keep it round.
                    Hence when trying to close this last course and clear the arch I noticed the arch intersecting brick was way out.
                    I really don’t feel like cutting that part of the course out and doing it again, I think I will mortar in a packing wedge and move on, maybe when I am finished I might take to it with a grinder to disguise any imperfections? ( of which there are a few).
                    Mortar is my friend, right?
                    By the way Dave, I cut all the arch bricks with a 7” circular saw fitted with a masonry blade which although it did the job, was a bit rough, I bought a wet saw the next weekend so have cutting everything course 4 and above with that.
                    Still not getting the results I want but that is the angles playing with my mind, Don’t overthink it!!!!!

Anyway very wet weekend in Qld so time to pack up and have several coldies.

Photo attachment issue so will post those late

Comment

Photos now hopefully
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good of you to catch the "droop" early. In any event, it will be near impossible to see so all good!

Comment

Based on what Delta described, I think it may have been a slight elongation of the dome "beaver tail". That can be caused by the inner arch being placed or cut just a little too far forward. Most domes end up with a little of both the beaver tail and the dreaded droop. The beaver tail can be the cause of the droop. The fix for both are just mortar and brick. I used the laser myself to correct the droop across the inner arch. It worked just fine for me. I happened to have had one so I used it. But, for future builders following the build, there are otther methods with simple tools to get the same results. If you have it, use it. But, no need to go out and buy one. The olnly reason I'm adding this is, after my build, someone went out and bought the wrong type of laser level. Of course it was useless for the project.

It's looking might fine Delta, I'm looking forward to you closing the dome. That's a biggie!
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                            Yes I am thinking it was caused from rushing at the end of the day in failing light and just wanting to get to a milestone, once again easy things to be able to avoid.
                            I will make a decision tonight whether to cut it out or mortar it in. I am leaning towards "Mortar is my friend".
                            Cheers

Comment

Course 8 completed.
                              Getting steep now so will have to work on solution.
                              Removed the arch and am happy with the results.
                              Once again mortar will be my friend
                              Attached Files

Comment

That looks super tidy! Well done!

Comment

Working...
                                X