Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Well I finally got the slab to support the vent all formed up and poored. I was not to hard. I wanted to have a little overhang so I got that all set up now too. I put a few 3/8 " drop in anchors in place and used some 5"carafe bolts and some nuts and washers as a way to make the 2 pices one. I think it should work pretty good. Half or more of the weight is on the stand so I shouldn't need it but better safe than sorry. I think they are rated for like 2800# each so I think you might be able to lift the base with lip

I also could not wait any longer. I had to break in the oven with my first fire. Just a little one with card board and some small twigs for about 30 min. At least now I know it works

Randy

Comment

Looks good Randy. Congrats on your first fire!
      George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Great job. Nice entry and..... finally FIRE!!!
        Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip I plan to start the vent this week sometime. How does your stainless steel fit in to your vent? I got a few insulating fb for my heat break and was wondering how to protect it. Also is there a good way to do shingles on a flat sloped roof? Just wondering about the top edge. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

I pulled the form last night and it looks pretty good. I also got my stone veneer ordered also so now I need to get the vent finished and frame the dog house and roof it. Can I use plywood for the roof? I am useing a insulated dubble wall chimney. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
              I pulled the form last night and it looks pretty good. I also got my stone veneer ordered also so now I need to get the vent finished and frame the dog house and roof it. Can I use plywood for the roof? I am useing a insulated dubble wall chimney. Thanks for the help.

Randy
              Looks great Randy, why did you use the foil between the ceramic board and concrete front slab? I will be doing something similar to you so I wanted to know the reason behind it. Your oven is looking really nice.
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
              Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
              STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Looks great Randy. That stone will look sharp. You do nice work.
                George

See my build album here.

Comment

Thanks for the complements. The reason for the foil was I did not want the ceramic board to suck the water out of the cement. So I figured that would work and not burn up later. Not sure if it was the best plan but what I came up with when I was doing it.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post

Randy
                    Ply for the roof is fine just use a chimney flashing and stay back from the chimney with the ply 2 inches or more if the flashing allows for it.

You could also use cement board close to the chimney if you have a need for support closer than that but for the type of roof you described to me you should be fine with a simple gap between the chimney and the ply. If you have any concerns about the gap just wrap the chimney with some ceramic blanket where the ply is close and call it a day.
                    Chip

Comment

Thanks chip. That is what I was thinking about doing with the blanket. I stopped at Smith Sharpe today and got my brick for the vent. I did not have enough of the ones I had so I figured it best to have all matching ones for the vent. So now I am up to 3 kinds of brick in the oven [floor,dome,and vent]and I was wondering about the heat break. If I left 1" straight and then cut back at like a 30 degree angle so I would have 1" that would be a 1/4 " gap to be filled with ceramic rope and then it would get wider. Then fill the rest of the void with vermicreete at a 8-10 to 1 mix. Does this seem like a good plan? Thanks to all for all the help you have given me.

Randy

Comment

I think 1/4 inch is more than enough. Just the slightest gap is all that is required. Some have placed a piece of cardboard or metal that was pulled out after the arch set up to the gap point and back filled with vermicrete or ceramic blanket backing. I ended up with perlcrete and filled the small gap with a caulk that I got from smith sharpe. It set up hard like mortar but came in a tube like caulk. It had insulation in it. I cannot remember what it was called.
                        Chip

Comment

So is all I need the 1/4"? If so that makes it all the easier. I was planning on doing cardboard and wax paper a spacer. Then maby just stuff it full of blanket scraps. That would be cheap and easy. Both things that I like. I am hopping to get my vent done by this weekend start framing up the enclosure. Also I want to start my curing fires soon.

So for my decorative arch that will be the stone veneer do I run cement board in front of my arch and then fill the void with something like high temp silicon? I would think that I do not want to have the facade linked to the arch. Or am I missing something.

Randy

Comment

I would go down to 1/8 inch if you can. Mine decorative brick arch is small gap not sure of distance filled with high temp silicone. It has held up for almost 4 years now.

No cement board at decorative arch just flue arch to decorative with silicone.
                            Chip

Comment

I would love to see an elevation drawing with a cut from front to back going through the floor and the arch of what you guys are talking about re the thermal break with some suggested dimensions showing where the rope, caulk, etc. goes.
                              George

See my build album here.

Comment

Here is a very crude drawing. Sorry but all I had was the back of a parking g envelope. I hope this helps. I know that some one else could do better.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X